BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Review: Prodigy

Synopsis: June and Day arrive in Vegas just as the unthinkable happens: the Elector Primo dies, and his son Anden takes his place. With the Republic edging closer to chaos, the two join a group of Patriot rebels eager to help Day rescue his brother and offer passage to the Colonies. They have only one request—June and Day must assassinate the new Elector.

It’s their chance to change the nation, to give voice to a people silenced for too long.

But as June realizes this Elector is nothing like his father, she’s haunted by the choice ahead. What if Anden is a new beginning? What if revolution must be more than loss and vengence, anger and blood—what if the Patriots are wrong?

My Review: I have been anticipating this sequel ever since I got my grubby little hands on Legend.  And I will say first and foremost it did not disappoint.  It was just as fantastic as the first one, and it matched tragedy for tragedy.

Prodigy pretty much picks up where Legend left off.  Day and June are on the run from the Republic after Day's escape from his execution.  They're in search of the Patriots, to not only get away from this giant mess but to find Day's little brother Eden as well as his friend Tess. Find them they do, but to gain their help they have to do one thing: assassinate the new Elector.  June and Day are separated almost immediately, each having their own assignments in order to carry out the Patriots plans.

I greatly enjoyed the plot for this book.  I will gladly bow down to Marie Lu and praise her plot development skills to high heaven.  She truly does an amazing job of pacing.  As I started getting deeper into the novel I was anticipating a certain event to be the climax and then everything would wrap up quickly from there.  But no, Lu surprised me yet again.  It was kind of like a false climax and the actual climax was just ten times more amazing because there was just so much build up to it.  And I'm so glad she kept going back and forth between Day and June.  Maybe it's just because I love the fact that they have different ink colors for their respective POV's.  Plus I enjoy both of their narratives way too  much to ever have to decide between the two.  As for plot twists, I have to say that I did NOT see that coming.  It was rather jaring to say the least, but it just made soooo much sense.  And we finally get a peak at the Colonies! I have to say, I am totally intrigued.  Day and June expect it to be some ultimate utopian society, and really we just glean the surface of it.  The Colonies have just as many problems as the Republic, and I'm interested to see how those are revealed in the next book.

As for June and Day...basically they're still bad asses.  I just feel like every time I read about them I am constantly geeking out because my inner monologue is going "OMG THEY'RE SO COOL!" Lu introduced the possibly for some other romantic interests, but they weren't really serious.  Both Day and June are still madly in love with each other.  Both of them struggle with the harsh realities of their relationship but ultimately they pull through for each other.

In the beginning of the novel, something is further revealed about Metias death and Thomas's involvement. And truly I didn't know whether to kill Thomas or just weep and hold him because it was literally one of the most tragic things I have ever read.  Just.  Stomped all over my heart.  And really, this book did a lot of stomping all over my heart because it did it at the end as well.  Just when you think everything is okay, not perfect, but okay and then the rug is pulled out from under your feet and you're just crying out WHY?! Well, gee that wasn't ominous now was it? Book 3 cannot come fast enough.

I really can't say much else without getting too heavy into spoilers and I don't want to ruin it for anybody so I'll leave off with just one last thing.  I greatly appreciated the fact that this was NOT a filler book.  Lu presented a well developed story line that actually continued the plot and created further intrigue.  It was beautifully done.  Bravo.

0 comments: