BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Review: What's Left of Me

 Synopsis: I should not exist. But I do.

Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t . . .

For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable-hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet . . . for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything. 

My Review: I have to say going into this I wasn't quite sure what to expect.  It sounded like an interesting concept and I thought I'd give it a shot.  I'm so glad I did.  I ended up really enjoying it.

Eva and Addie are halves to the same whole.  Their twin souls; sisters, and the world wants one of them to fade away.  According to everyone else, one soul is naturally more dominant and the other one will simply fade away over time.  Except that's not how it worked out for Addie and Eva.  Eva never went away like she was supposed to.  She can't take control anymore, but she's still there, a constant companion to Addie.  People like Addie/Eva are feared above all else.  Hybrids are the cause of all terrorist and other evils that plague the world.  So when Addie/Eva discover they may not be as alone as they thought, they have to take a huge chance for Eva to be free again.

I still can't quite determine what universe this is.  I mean, it appears to be our universe, but in the future at some point, and yet obviously we don't have twin souls. How twin souls developed hasn't really been explained, but I'm rolling with it at this point.  The whole book is from Eva's POV and I'm really glad of that.  Having two MC's in the same body would have been super confusing, so I'm glad it was just Eva.  I really enjoyed her narrative as well.  As horrible as her situation is she's always so kind.  She always sees the good in others when Addie tends to shy away from other people.  She doesn't blame Addie for their predicament, ever.  In fact, Addie and Eva's relationship was truly heart touching.  It's clear that they would do anything for one another, and Addie truly shows this by putting themselves at risk so that Eva may be able to take control again.

I really liked the other hybrid characters as well.  There's a bit of romance thrown in, but it was well developed and very minor to the actual plot.  I highly aprove though.  :D As far as the plot went, it was BRILLIANT.  There is a lot more depth to the hybrid problem, than the book leads you to believe at the start of the novel.  Zhang did a great job of letting out a few details to help explain, but baiting you into reading more with new revealed information.  The plot was perfectly paced, and just read smoothly.  Zhang wrote beautifully and created a very original world and characters that you can't help but fall in love with.  I can't wait for more books to this series.

1 comments:

Karen said...

Interesting. I've read a few mixed reviews for this one but since I have it already I'm just going to go ahead and see for myself.
Nice review.