BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, May 25, 2012

Review: Erasing Time

Synopsis: In this high-action and romantic futuristic adventure, there is no escape from the future for two contemporary girls pulled out of their own time.


When twins Sheridan and Taylor wake up 400 years in the future, they find a changed world: domed cities, no animals, and a language that’s so different, it barely sounds like English. And the worst news: They can’t go back home.


The twenty-fifth-century government transported the girls to their city hoping to find a famous scientist to help perfect a devastating new weapon. The moblike Dakine fights against the government, and somehow Taylor and Sheridan find themselves in the middle. The only way to elude them all is to trust Echo, a guy with secrets of his own. The trio must put their faith in the unknown to make a harrowing escape into the wilds beyond the city.


Full of adrenaline-injected chases and heartbreaking confessions, Erasing Time explores the strength of the bonds between twins, the risks and rewards of trust, and the hard road to finding the courage to fight for what you believe in.


My Review:  This is going to be one of those reviews where I'm still trying to figure out what I thought of the book.  I just can't seem to decide if I liked it or not.  The vast majority of the novel I was forcing myself to read it while the end had me wanting for more. It was just a peculiar read, so this is probably going to be a peculiar review.  

First of all the whole time jumping plot just seemed weak to me.  It's not an issue of plausibility, more so an issue with convincing the audience.  In a sci-fi novel time travel is perfectly okay because it is SCI-FI.  The genre umbrella's physically impossible things.  Granted, this book should probably be considered sci-fi, hell it's set in the future, but it just...I don't know- failed to convince me? The future world just lacked real depth. If you're going to plop two 21st century girls 400 years in the future I just think really detailed and in depth world building is required.  A lot of things have of course changed.  I applaud the author for thinking about the language differences.  Naturally they still speak english, but it has evolved so much that it's barely recognizable. So yes, that was well thought out.  But the fashion of the future-just- I couldn't take it seriously.  It seemed gimmicky and ridiculous.  I just can't take a character seriously when he has bright blue hair with a matching crescent moon on his face.  Can't.  Sorry. 

Also, the reason for Sheridan and Taylor being brought to the future seemed really weak to me as well.  Taylor is of  Stephen Hawking type level intelligence and apparently the future can't live without her.  Only problem is, that Sheridan got dragged along to the future with her.  The whole reason for them being there dealt with something that Taylor helped build, and yet I feel like I knew nothing about it.  I mean I have a beginners understanding of physics.  Maybe intermediate because I'm a little science nerd and like interstellar physics, but even with that I was sitting there going "how is this possible?" The author just kind of gave you basic facts and didn't explain anything.  It just kind of bugged me.  

I liked Sheridan and Taylor well enough.  Taylor was a bit of an annoying, condescending jerk, but she wasn't too terrible.  Then again, you never get her POV in the whole book, so I could be judging too harshly.  I even enjoyed Echo's POV a lot.  The one thing that I thought was done really well was the political atmosphere of the novel.  You have the thought controlling government, the corrupt Dakine who basically control the government, and the Doctor Worshippers who are supposedly mad.  The groups interactions with each other were pretty interesting and were very dynamic.  I thought it was well done.  

Ironically enough it wasn't until over half way through the novel when Sheridan and Taylor are pretty much on the run non-stop that it got GOOD.  I went from having to force myself to read, to forcing myself to go to bed.  Suddenly the story was gripping, and interesting and pulled some very big twists that I didn't even have an inkling about.  That being said, I was severely disappointed that it ended where it did.  I felt like the story was JUST getting started and bam it's over.  

I think pacing was my biggest issue.  If this had been paced correctly then those little things that bugged me wouldn't have made as big as an impact.  I'll still probably read the sequel (because with that ending there BETTER be a sequel), and truly I feel like this story is just getting started.  So I'm gonna stick with it.  So really, I have no opinion with good vs bad.  I'll just leave it as this story is promising and you need to read it for yourself to form an opinion.  

1 comments:

Sarah Elizabeth said...

How random - the future couldn't live without her? That sounds pretty lame! Surely technology would have been much more advanced, and someone from that time would have had an advantage. Or maybe they could have searched for her descendants? And not even an explanation of exactly what it is they want her to do?
I can see why you're not sure if you liked this or not!