BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Review: Of Poseidon

Synopsis: Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he’s heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen—literally, ouch!—both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma’s gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom . . . 


Told from both Emma and Galen’s points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.

My Review: So I have a slight addiction to mermaids.  For some reason I just love them, and yet every single YA book I read about them always kind of tends to fall flat.  Of Poseidon was kind of the same way for me.  It was good, don't get me wrong, but it just wasn't to the level of "omg you have to read this its so incredible."

There was a definite  unique take on mermaids. First of all, they don't like to be called that, they are Syrena to any human that knows of their existence, which really is probably in the half dozen range.  Super secretive these fishy folks be.  They had some cool tricks up their sleeve. Such as they can "sense" any other Syrena's presence as long as their in water.  They can also morph into different forms, including a type of water camouflage one.  Also they have really thick skin and bones and have very bad tempers.  In more than a few instances this gets very amusing.  Haha.  So all in all the author had some pretty cool ideas for mixing it up.  That being said, there were just some things that were complete overkill.

I have never read such a blatantly forced attempt at being witty and funny.  Granted some of the funny moments were natural and had me laughing out loud, but sometimes less is more.  It was like something hysterical had to happen every five pages.  Half way through the novel I just got to the point of, really? It just felt forced and was complete over kill.  I love comedic relief as much as anyone, probably more so because I am very easily amused.  This just didn't do it for me.

That being said, I really did enjoy the plot of this.  It was engaging and definitely kept you guessing.  And I really liked some of the secondary characters.  Actually it was really just Tavin that I adored.  (god I think that was his name...memory lapse much).  He was an adorably sweet guy.  Loved him.  Even Galen's sister was entertaining to a point.  Though why she was so vehemently violent against Tavin I will never understand.  *shakes head*

As far as Emma and Galen, they were okay.  Galen of course is amazingly handsome blah blah blah.  You know the drill.  Emma I quite enjoyed.  She was spunky and had this totally adorable dorky klutz vibe going for her.  Maybe I just identified because I am always tripping/falling/running into things too.  Lol.  I would have really liked their relationship more if there hadn't been "the pull".  Just really? Another soul-mate, ultimate match, destined relationship?! *headdesk* Their relationship would have been ten times better if there wasn't that added factor.  Might as well have poured on the extra queso for super-nacho level cheesy.

All in all though, pretty decent read.  It had it's high and lows but more than likely I'll be reading the next book.  With the ending to the first one I'm wanting an explanation for sure.

0 comments: