BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Review: The Hunt

Synopsis: Don’t Sweat. Don’t Laugh. Don’t draw attention to yourself. And most of all, whatever you do, do not fall in love with one of them. 


Gene is different from everyone else around him. He can’t run with lightning speed, sunlight doesn’t hurt him and he doesn’t have an unquenchable lust for blood. Gene is a human, and he knows the rules. Keep the truth a secret. It’s the only way to stay alive in a world of night—a world where humans are considered a delicacy and hunted for their blood. 


When he’s chosen for a once in a lifetime opportunity to hunt the last remaining humans, Gene’s carefully constructed life begins to crumble around him. He’s thrust into the path of a girl who makes him feel things he never thought possible—and into a ruthless pack of hunters whose suspicions about his true nature are growing. Now that Gene has finally found something worth fighting for, his need to survive is stronger than ever—but is it worth the cost of his humanity?


My Review: I do not have words.  I literally devoured almost this entire book sans 25 pages in one sitting.  I was that freaking glued.  This made my top books of 2012 thus far.  Granted we're only a few months in, but man did I LOVE this book.  


I love the approach that Fukuda took for vampires.  And yes, they are indeed vampires, though it never once calls them that in the whole novel.  The author completely flipped the roles for vampires and humans.  Human's aren't humans anymore, they're heper's.  The equivalent to mindless beasts in the minds of "people" and are amongst the rarest of delicacies.  So rare in fact that there are only a few heper's left that are bred by the government so that they don't completely die out.  While sunlight is lethal to these vampires the other legends don't apply.  There are no coffins, there are foot holds in which they sleep in hanging from the ceiling.  Their fangs are present at all times, no "popping out" fangs so to speak. What really was awesome though was all the social ticks that these vampire's had.  I had to admit when they first popped up I was giving the book a very weird look, but hey why not? And in the end I actually thought they added to how well rounded and different these vampires were.  Vampires don't laugh; they scratch their wrists.  To show affection they rub their elbows in each other's armpits.  A hug is an ear rub.  I know, I know. I was going wtf too, but it's okay.  How quickly they switched from seemingly normal to rabid animal was quite terrifying though.  I couldn't get over how much they freakin salivate.  O.O Maybe it's just because I HATE drool.  Dogs, babies, pillow drool.  No tolerance for it.  But really, these things are like sharks in a bloody pool.  They go bizerk.  Scary indeed, especially if you're a human masquerading as one.  


Which brings me to Gene. I loved Gene.  To say that he has led a shitty life is the biggest understatement.  His sister and mother were lost when he was just a small child.  Then his father was bitten when he was 7, leaving Gene to fend for himself in a world filled with people trying to eat you.  The lengths he had to go to to keep up the charade are just unbelievable.  I couldn't eat raw meat.  Nope.  Unless it's sushi.  I mean, I like my steak bloody, but not raw.  When it comes down to it though, Gene was just trying to survive.  He was a good guy just trying to do the best with what he was given.  Some of his actions in the book had my moral compass protesting but honestly if I was in that situation I'd have done the same thing.  


It was the love interest that really had me guessing in this novel.  The synopsis kind of left me guessing as to who Gene was going to fall for.  On one hand I was like "it can't be her! She'll eat him!"  and then on the other I thought it was tentative at best.  I have to say I did not see it coming though.  My eyes kind of bugged out of my head.  I totally knew that she knew that Gene was really human, but man.  Surprise! And I really love how the author handled it.  Vampires' form of affection is more like attacking each other, so the two of them don't really know how to interact with each other as humans.  As Gene put it "the elbow in the apart never really did it for him." HA! Physical contact is totally taboo for vamps though, so both of them have never even touched another person's hand.  When they just sit on top of the roof holding hands...perfect.  That is as much physical interaction they have but I wouldn't have changed it for the world.  It just made their connection all the more amazing.  


And the ending! Talk about hyperventilating! I was freaking out for the last few chapters! I mean I was a little conflicted initially cuz I knew that I was not going to be happy that one of the character's got left behind, but then I got to the last page and I flipped.  I'm pretty sure my eyes took up half of my face I was so in shock.  Did not call that.  At. All.  I didn't even have a clue.  *applauds Fukuda* Kept me on my toes, man.  


I really loved this book and I will be purchasing it as soon as it comes out.  Cannot wait for the sequel.  I'm dying of anticipation already.  Be forewarned, it's dark and bloody.  Literally...but that's a part of why it was so amazing . 

1 comments:

Kristina said...

I have this book for review, it will be my next read. At 1st I was a little hesitant, but now I'm not, now I'm really looking forward to read.