BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Review: Struck


Synopsis: Mia Price is a lightning addict. She’s survived countless strikes, but her craving to connect to the energy in storms endangers her life and the lives of those around her.

Los Angeles, where lightning rarely strikes, is one of the few places Mia feels safe from her addiction. But when an earthquake devastates the city, her haven is transformed into a minefield of chaos and danger. The beaches become massive tent cities. Downtown is a crumbling wasteland, where a traveling party moves to a different empty building each night, the revelers drawn to the destruction by a force they cannot deny. Two warring cults rise to power, and both see Mia as the key to their opposing doomsday prophecies. They believe she has a connection to the freak electrical storm that caused the quake, and to the far more devastating storm that is yet to come.

Mia wants to trust the enigmatic and alluring Jeremy when he promises to protect her, but she fears he isn’t who he claims to be. In the end, the passion and power that brought them together could be their downfall. When the final disaster strikes, Mia must risk unleashing the full horror of her strength to save the people she loves, or lose everything.


My Review: Going into this I was really excited.  It was really something that had never been done before.  Well, the whole lightning thing anyway.  I thought it sounded like a really cool concept.  And my intuition was right.  Bosworth did a wonderful job of bringing something new and unique into the realm of YA. 

Los Angeles has just been struck by one of the worst earthquakes in memory.  The city is in a state of panic, left without aid.  Mia and her brother have to take care of their mother who survived a building's collapse during the quake.  It's left her scarred both physically and emotionally, and the only solace she has is in the word of Prophet, a hit Evangelical television priest.  Mia, however, isn't buying into any of the Doomsday prophecies.  She wants nothing to do with the Followers or their opposition.  She finds herself caught between two warring cults, both claiming that the other is the true enemy, but both just want to use her to their own ends.  On top of it all, Jeremy complicates matters further.  Is he there to truly protect her, or is there something sinister about his presence? As the storm of the century approaches Mia has to decide who to trust. 

I had a lot of mixed feelings on this book. There was a lot of things that I liked, but some things I just couldn't quite get over.  First of all the mixed genre kind of bothered me.  And no I'm not saying that a book can't be a mix of genre's.  It was just in this weird in between state? Half post-catastrophic in THIS universe, and then there was a somewhat magical element to it all, but only with lightning... I don't know.  I just felt like it was incomplete? There was hardly any explanation to the whole lightning thing, so maybe that's why I feel that way. 

Another thing I couldn't quite get over was the whole religious cult.  I just don't understand it.  Lately a lot of YA books are taking a new angle on religion and showing how it can be used to corrupt people.  I'm an atheist.  I should be cheering.  And yet I find myself defending religion every time.  I have no idea.  Maybe I'm just touchy on the subject, but I hate how easily people can be pulled into a horribly corrupt group of people all in the name of faith.  Maybe this book just reiterated that point for me, but it just didn't sit well.  *shrugs*

On the other hand I loved Mia.  She's really self conscious about her lightning scars, but she was made of some tough stuff.  She doesn't let anyone tell her what to do or how to live her life.  She's caught between two cults and I really admired her strength to stay out of the whole conflict. (though she inevitably gets drawn into it anyway) She looks out for her family and will do anything to protect her mom and her brother.  She had a great strength of character.  What I appreciated most though was her vulnerability.  The scars that cover her body are a huge barrier for her.  She doesn't let anybody else see them besides her own family.  As she and Jeremy grow closer I really loved the bond they built.  Jeremy thinks she's beautiful no matter what.  I just loved the two of them, especially at the end.  Just goes to show that beauty is more than skin deep. 

Overall Struck was a very unique story.  Extremely well written with great characters and an intriguing plot.  I have to admit throughout the whole book I was just waiting for Mia to pull a Storm moment.  I got my wish.  ^.^ Can't wait for any further books.  It shall be interesting to see how the lore of the "spark" plays out. 

1 comments:

Alexa said...

I love Storm from X-Men so I think I shall have to read this one if she has a moment like her. I even have Storm comics up on my wall because I think she look so beautiful controling the weather.

Thanks for the great review!