BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Review: Dreaming Awake

Synopsis: She fell for him in a nighttime world. But the time for dreaming is past—and the here-and-now can be just as fragile their love…

When Theia Alderson first encountered a mysterious, handsome boy in her dreams, she never imagined how finding Haden Black—and falling in love—could change her life. To save Haden, Theia sacrificed everything. And the dangerous bargain she made could have lasting repercussions.

Now Theia has returned to Serendipity Falls, and she finds herself struggling with the same deadly hungers that have tortured Haden. When students at their high school fall prey to a mysterious illness, Theia can’t help but wonder if Haden’s control is slipping—and how much longer she’ll have a grip on her own.

And still the nightmare realm of Under won’t let them go. Someone from Haden’s past is determined to destroy Theia from the inside out, starting with those closest to her, forcing Theia to choose between family and friends and a love that may have been doomed from the start…


My Review: When I first read Falling Under I was pleasantly surprised.  It took a turn that I did not expect and I highly respected the author for that.  It's not easy now-a-days to put a fresh spin on a YA novel.  As much as I ended up liking Falling Under, I have to say that Dreaming Awake fell flat for me.  As so many planned trilogies are, the 2nd book is filler.  

Theia has been altered by Mara's blood and has become part demon herself.  You'd have thought that this turn would have simplified Theia and Haden's relationship.  NOPE! I was so excited because I thought things were going to finally get REALLY heated between them.  It was a total psyche moment.  Turns out that Haden can't take her virtue because it consummate his demonic side and he'll loose his humanity.  Ya.  Exactly.  I know you're making a funny face right now as you read.  

As far as plot, it was okay.  Theia is struggling to hold onto her old self and integrate her new demonic side.  Wanting to eat your classmates souls isn't exactly easy to cope with.  Instead of being totally overbearing, her father is now just ignoring her.  Add to it her lack of a true love life and some of her classmates suddenly looking like the walking dead, Theia has far from escaped from Mara's influence.  Things get even more complicated when Theia finds out that Mara has been dating her father and eating away at his soul.  

I still love all the characters.  Though Theia pulled a dumb move with "I need to stay away from you, because I could never forgive myself if you lost your humanity because of me." I LOATHE Edward Cullen guilt trips! Ever notice that? Horrible logic! But Haden of course doesn't back down because he's Haden and he's awesome XD 

The final showdown in Under was very well done.  Theia finally stops running from her "evil" side, so to speak, and accepts all of herself, the good and the bad.  I liked the fact that the author switched POV's towards the end as well.  I thought it really added to the effect.  

The one thing I cannot forgive though, is the killing off of my favorite character.  I am not naming names.  However I will say I was utterly devastated and bawled my eyes out.  It was a pointless killing! I felt like it was one of those times where the author felt like they needed to make it more dramatic so they should make someone die.  It added nothing to the story, the rest of the characters' don't even dwell on it that heavily.  There wasn't even a funeral! See why I'm upset? It was just unforgivable in my opinion.  

Ok, rant over.  Overall, it was still decent.  Plotline wasn't too bad, I still like all the characters, and the conclusion of it actually went somewhere, so I was pretty happy.  Still felt like it was filler.  And some of the conflicts just felt like they were added for shits and giggles.  I don't know.  Maybe that's just me.  I'm excited for the third one though. With how this one ended, I am REALLY interested in seeing how things will play out. 

 

0 comments: