BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, December 23, 2011

Review: Balthazar

Synopsis:Haunted by memories from his first days as a vampire, Balthazar has spent hundreds of years alone—without allies, without love. When he emerges from his isolation to help Skye Tierney, a human girl who once attended Evernight Academy, Balthazar has no idea how dangerous it will be. Skye’s psychic powers have caught the attention of Redgrave, the cruel master vampire responsible for murdering Balthazar and his family four centuries ago. Having learned of Skye’s powers and the remarkable effect her blood has on vampires, he plans to use her for his own evil purposes. As they stand together to fight the evil vampire, Balthazar realizes his lonely world could finally be changed by Skye...just as Redgrave realizes that he can destroy Balthazar once and for all by taking her for his own.

In a story filled with forbidden love and dark suspense, one of the most beloved characters in Claudia Gray’s New York Times bestselling Evernight series will captivate readers with his battle to overcome his past and follow his heart.


My Review: Usually I don't like deviations from the MC's of the original series.  But I loved Balthazar so much in the Evernight books that I just had to read this, and I'm glad I did.  Honestly, I think I liked it more than Evernight.  Okay, not the first book of the series, cuz that was amazing, but all the following ones just weren't as good ya know? The plot for Balthazar was just as intriguing and fast paced as Evernight. 

Balthazar has always been one of my favorite characters.  He's kind and loyal and incredibly caring.  Coupled with the fact that he is one hottie hunk and is a bad ass vampire, you can't get any hotter than that.  He's always struggled with his vampire nature and his past has always been a big mystery.  I'm really glad that we got glimpses into what made Balthazar the man he is today.  Most of the chapters alternate from the present to different points in his past.  We find out what his life was like before he was turned, how he was turned, and consequently how he killed Charity. 

I really liked Skye as well.  It took me a bit to remember who she was from Evernight, but everything eventually clicked in my mind.  I really liked the fact that Gray wrote from Skye's POV as well.  It was refreshing to get a human perspective on all of the supernatural events that were happening.  After Evernight Academy burned to the ground, Skye went back home, however she wasn't welcomed with open arms.  The death of her brother a year prior still haunts her family.  Her parents are never home and refuse to speak about her brother and completely ignore Skye.  Her old school now thinks she's a snob and her ex-boyfriend is with the girl he dumped her for.  On top of it all, ever since she let Bianca possess her she's been having strange encounters with the dead.  Wherever a person has died violently she relives the experience.  Stranger still is what happens when vampires drink her blood.  Soon Redgrave, Balthazar's sire, is after her and Balthazar will stop at nothing to keep her safe. 

The attraction between Skye and Balthazar is electric.  Loved every second of it.  Skye knows what she wants and goes after it, that's for sure.  Balthazar feels just as strongly, but he is well versed in the inevitable break between them that will occur.  Balthazar ultimately breaks his "no humans" rule though, because Skye becomes the most important person in his life.  I really loved these two together.  I love Bianca and Lucas too, but so many things get between their relationship.  It was nice to have a relatively simple love story.

With all the vampires after Skye you don't really get to know much about her unusual ability.  The first book is just the tip of the ice berg, I can tell you that.  Now that the Redgrave threat is over, Gray can really explore Skye's ability.  I'm so glad this wasn't just a one shot type of book.  I loved the character's so much that I just NEED more.  A great addition to the Evernight universe that is for sure.  Can't wait for the second one!

1 comments:

LoriStrongin said...

Can't say I was hooked by the blurb, but your review definitely has me intrigued. I like that both the humans and the paranormals get POV scenes in the book, as I like seeing the world building from both those perspectives.


Smiles!
Lori