BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Review: The Faerie Ring


Synopsis: The year is 1871, and Tiki has been making a home for herself and her family of orphans in a deserted hideaway adjoining Charing Cross Station in central London. Their only means of survival is by picking pockets. One December night, Tiki steals a ring, and sets off a chain of events that could lead to all-out war with the Fey. For the ring belongs to Queen Victoria, and it binds the rulers of England and the realm of Faerie to peace. With the ring missing, a rebel group of faeries hopes to break the treaty with dark magic and blood—Tiki’s blood. Unbeknownst to Tiki, she is being watched—and protected—by Rieker, a fellow thief who suspects she is involved in the disappearance of the ring. Rieker has secrets of his own, and Tiki is not all that she appears to be. Her very existence haunts Prince Leopold, the Queen’s son, who is driven to know more about the mysterious mark that encircles her wrist. Prince, pauper, and thief—all must work together to secure the treaty…

My Review:  You all know that I am a huge faerie fanatic.  I'm also a huge fan of Victorian era England.  The Faerie Ring just happens to combine both.  I loved the whole atmosphere of the story.  There is something about Victorian England that just makes a story so much better.  The twisting streets of London, the clever street urchins, and the era of royals just create such an interesting world.  I really loved the fact that the author incorporated the Faerie by means of a treaty with the royalty.  Somehow that reminds me of A Midsummer's Night Dream.  Don't know why, but it does.

I absolutely adored Tiki.  Gotta admire a girl who sneaks around as a boy and pickpockets.  Tiki was just the biggest sweet heart.  She's the mother of her little family of orphans and she would sacrifice anything to keep them safe and out of harms way.  Though she has a tender heart, she does whatever is necessary to survive.  She doesn't let anyone bully her or tell her how to live her life.  She's a gutsy little shit too.  If I found myself in Buckingham Palace I would have gotten the hell out of there, not stolen the Queen's ring! Granted, Tiki didn't know it when she stole it, but I definitely wouldn't have even attempted to ransom it.

Oh and boy did I adore Rieker.  He definitely made my top 5 favorite male love interests.  Disheveled dark hair and smoky eyes with aristocratic features.  And a thief to boot? Yep, in love. He had an endearing teasing personality that I just loved.  He pops up in the most unexpected times, just when Tiki needs him.   He watches out for her and provides unexpected insights into the world of the Fae.  And yet Rieker is much more than just a common thief.  He has his own story and even I had trouble guessing what it was.

I enjoyed Leo's occasional POV as well.  Though he was no Rieker he was still a refreshing perspective.  He'll definitely be more featured in the future books.  And those Fae.  Dang. I mean, I love evil nasty faeries, but they did some pretty nasty things in this book.  You barely get to "know" them so to speak.  Hardly anything about their world is revealed.  It's all pretty vague.  Which I'm assuming is on purpose lest it spoil future books.  The ending was pretty awesome as well.  As perfect as an ending can be when there is more books to come.  If it had ended in a cliffhanger I would have died, but the author wrapped it up very nicely.  I can't wait for the next book! Lots of interesting little facts were revealed towards the end and now I just have more questions! Really enjoyed this one!

2 comments:

LoriStrongin said...

I'm right with you on loving this book! My favorite part was Tiki's ragtag group of street urchins and how they bonded together to form a little family.

Can't WAIT until the next book comes out!


Smiles!
Lori

Fairday Morrow said...

I haven't read this book yet- but it sounds like something I would love! I have just added it to my list. This review was awesome. Thanks!

~Jess
http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com