BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Blog Birthday!

Wow has it really been two years?  It's hard to imagine the first book I ever reviewed was Y: The Last Man and I've nearly read 200 books inbetween.  It's been one heck of a ride and I look forward to many further years of wonderful books and friends.  Needless to say, it is time to celebrate! As much as I would love to have a wonderful bash of epicness filled with tons of prizes etc the reality of the situation is that I'm broke and it's fast approaching finals week.  So this is going to be on a smaller scale than last year, but don't fret there will still be awesome books to be had.  ^.^

Speaking of awesome books it is time for the first ones!  Please give  a warm welcome to Kersten Hamilton author of Tyger Tyger and it's much awaited sequel In the Forests of the Night! Tyger Tyger is now on paperback and is available on Amazon for e-book!  Here are my reviews for Tyger Tyger and In the Forests of the Night. And without further ado, here is an interview with Kersten!

What made you want to write about Goblins as opposed to other paranormal stories? 

When I was a child, a goblin crept out of the dark and slipped her paw into my hand. The creature’s name was Lina, and she came to life in a book by George MacDonald. Lina was a dog–like beastie with green eyes lit by amber fire, and a huge mouth with icicle–like teeth. Curdie, the hero of the story, could feel the real hand of any creature inside its flesh glove, and when Lina put her paw in his hand: “a shudder, as of terrified delight, ran through him…instead of the paw of a dog, such as it seemed to his eyes, he clasped in his great mining fist the soft, neat little hand of a child! The green eyes stared at him with their yellow light, and the mouth was turned up toward him with its constant half grin; but here was the child’s hand!”
When I read those lines I felt it. I felt the child’s hand inside a rough paw glove, and I knew I wanted to pull a child out of a goblin one day.

The world of Tyger Tyger has an incredibly rich history.  How much is based on actual Irish myths/lore? 

All of it is based on actual Irish myth/lore and as well as snippets of history and Celtic world view—with my own twists tossed in, of course. That’s what happens to myth and lore—it is changed, born anew for every generation. 

Just out of pure curiosity, does Aiden’s fear of Elvis Impersonators stem from any real life person? 

Welllll…I think they are pretty scary. Don’t you?

What made you decide to name characters after the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?  

I loved the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Maybe not enough to name my children after them, but certainly enough to give them a nod and wink in my books.

I find the writing in Tyger Tyger and In the Forests of the Night to be amazingly witty and hysterical.  Would you say your own sense of humor makes its way into your writing?

Thank you, Kyleigh. I work hard to make it that way. It helps that I handle pressure with humor—and I was under lots of pressure when I wrote In the Forests of the Night.

Do you happen to know old Gaelic or does that involve some extensive research and translation? 

I don’t know old Gaelic—so I have to research like mad, and depend on people who know more than I do!

You’ve been writing from a very young age, which author would you say was your biggest inspiration?

George MacDonald is hands down the biggest influence on my writing and on my life. But then, he has inspired generations of writers.

Coffee or tea? 

Coffee. Lots and lots of coffee. It is good for my inner editor:
Thank you for having me on your blog today, Kyleigh! 


A huge thanks to Kersten for doing the interview! And now time for the giveaway! Kersten has generously donated a paperback copy of Tyger Tyger and I'm giving In the Forests of the Night to one lucky person! All you have to do is fill out the form below! This is U.S. only! Sorry guys! There will be international giveaways I promise. 





4 comments:

Alexa said...

congrats on two years! It certainly does go by fast

Blueicegal ♥ said...

great post. congrats hun!! nearly hit the two year mark too. it's such a lovely moment. Yay on taking this lovely journey together. <3

Blueicegal ♥ said...

great post. congrats hun!! nearly hit the two year mark too. it's such a lovely moment. Yay on taking this lovely journey together. <3

LoriStrongin said...

Fun interview! I've been hearing so many good things about these books, but just haven't gotten to reading them yet. Winning a copy would be fantastic!

Thanks so much and Congratulations on two awesome years!!!


Smiles!
Lori
serena423[@]yahoo.com