BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Review: In the Forests of the Night

Synopsis: Teagan, Finn, and Aiden have rescued Tea's and Aiden's father and have made it out of Mag Mell alive, bringing a few new friends with them. But The Dark Man's forces are hot on their heels. Back in Chicago, Teagan soon realizes that she is not the target of the goblins. In fact, the goblins call her princess, and call her to come out and play. Something is happening to her, and she suspects it’s an infection she picked up in Mag Mell. An infected cat-sídhe becomes her test subject, and Teagan is determined to cure it of the sickness that seems to rot its flesh. If she can find a cure for the cat-sídhe, then maybe there is hope for her. Meanwhile, Kyle and Isabeau, Teagan’s goblin cousins, show up in her school, disguised as a substitute teacher and a foreign exchange student. They are sure she will come back to Mag Mell, as goblin blood is never passive. Once awoken, it will burn away every other aspect of her being, leaving her pure and solely goblin. When the process is complete, she will belong to Fear Doirich, the Dark Man. It is just a matter of time. In the meantime, Kyle and Isabeau are happy to entertain themselves by trying to seduce, kidnap, or kill Teagan’s family and friends. Tea knows she doesn’t have much time left, and she refuses to leave Finn to be hunted to the death or her family to be tortured and killed. A wild Stormrider, born to rule and reign, is growing stronger inside her, but as long as she can hold on, she’s still Teagan Wylltson, who plans to be a veterinarian and who heals the sick and hurting. The disease that’s destroying her—that’s destroying them all—has a name: Fear Doirich. And Teagan Wylltson is not going to let him win.



My Review: So that synopsis is a little off.  First off not one goblin calls Teagan "Princess".  Second, she doesn't pick up anything from Mag Mell, someone GIVES her it more than halfway through the book.  And then Kyle doesn't show up till over half way through either.  Sorry, I just had to clear that up.  I read the synopsis and kinda just went "that is not how it happened." Now that that's settled...

I absolutely loved this! It has been ages since I read Tyger Tyger and I really just forgot how laugh out loud hysterical the writing is.  I was laughing through 2/3 of the book.  (The end was a bit more serious) Aiden and Abby are probably my two favorite characters.  They just make me laugh SO MUCH! I totally forgot about Aiden's hatred of Elvis Impersonators too.  My room mate looked at me really funny when I suddenly burst out laughing hysterically.  That kid is just too adorable for his own good.  And I probably will never look at garlic the same way every again. It will bring unbidden thoughts of Silvester Stalone and testosterone to my mind.  *twitches*

I really liked that Teagan and Finn are thinking their relationship through.  With Finn being the Mac Cumhail he's cursed to fight goblins until he perishes.  Teagan just wants a normal life and to fulfill her dreams.  It was just really nice that they weren't living in a fantasy world where everything just worked out perfect.  They're still taking things pretty slow, even though they've both said the L word.  It's just refreshing to see a slow romance. 

At first everyone is just trying to settle back into their normal lives, but Fear Doirich won't let that happen so easily.  I was pleasantly surprised where the plot led.  I didn't call that AT ALL.  I'm glad that Teagan is still remaining true to herself, despite her changes.  When they go back to into Mag Mell things get interesting pretty fast.  They run into phookas, giant Irish wolfhounds, and Fear and Mab themselves.  I absolutely loved the ending.  I was truly surprised that Mab inserted herself into the game.  Tricky little bugger to be sure.  And gah, the last line?! Basically Teagan's a badass.  "Then let there be war," *throws knife*. EPIC! Sorry, slight fangirl moment.  I want to know how to throw a knife now...

Anywho, just a few last things that I loved.  Uh, Jing?! Jing was freakin awesome.  Jing Khan= the Mighty Khan! And the fact that his full first name is actually an alternate spelling for Ghangis made me laugh SO HARD.  Parents in this book really have an awful habit of naming their kids after infamous/famous people/characters.  Abby's cousins' just make me laugh every time their names come.  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... hehehe. 

So it's pretty safe to say that I really loved this.  It was a wonderful sequel to Tyger Tyger.  I cannot wait for the third book.  I have a feeling Zoe (the dance therapist) will be playing a major part.  And Thomas too for some reason.  I just have this awful feeling that he's going to sacrifice himself for the others.  I like Thomas :( Hopefully that doesn't happen. Can't wait for more! And be looking for any updates, because I'm going to be doing something with Kersten soon to celebrate the paperback release of Tyger Tyger! So stay tuned! ^.^

 

0 comments: