BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, September 23, 2011

Review: Perfect

Synopsis:Everyone has something, someone, somewhere else that they’d rather be. For four high-school seniors, their goals of perfection are just as different as the paths they take to get there. 


Cara’s parents’ unrealistic expectations have already sent her twin brother Conner spiraling toward suicide. For her, perfect means rejecting their ideals to take a chance on a new kind of love. Kendra covets the perfect face and body—no matter what surgeries and drugs she needs to get there. To score his perfect home run—on the field and off—Sean will sacrifice more than he can ever win back. And Andre realizes that to follow his heart and achieve his perfect performance, he’ll be living a life his ancestors would never have understood.

Everyone wants to be perfect, but when perfection loses its meaning, how far will you go? What would you give up to be perfect?

A riveting and startling companion to the bestselling Impulse, Ellen Hopkins's Perfect exposes the harsh truths about what it takes to grow up and grow into our own skins, our own selves.


My Review: When I first heard that Hopkins was writing a companion to Impulse I was thrilled.  Impulse is probably one of my top two favorites of her books.  It's been a very long while since I've read Impulse so it took me a bit to realize that Cara was Connor's sister.  It says as much on the back of the book but it just didn't click.  I loved the fact that Hopkins really looked at the people that Connor left behind.  It was a wonderful companion in a long line of wonderful books.


I really liked Cara.  I don't know how she deals with her parents.  I wouldn't be able to do it.  Her mother is just a complete psycho bitch. Cara's always been the perfect child.  The one who is smart, pretty, does extra curricula's, has the perfect boyfriend, and is going to Standford.  Yet, Cara is tired of playing the charade. When she meets another young woman, whom she connects to more than anyone else in her life, she realizes that she's been living a lie.  She's been playing the part for her parents, but she will no longer be the fake person she was before.  Her self discovery and her love for her girlfriend transforms her.

Kendra was a very complicated individual.  I just felt awful that Kendra couldn't see how beautiful she really was.  She constantly critiques herself.  She's too fat, her nose is too big, she could up a few cup sizes, etc.  She can never see the beauty within, and I hate that.  What's so horrible about it, is that so many girls do this.  Society has warped young girl's mind to their standards of beauty.  Despite her inability to love herself, she was a very admirable person.  She's strong willed and determined to the point of insane stubbornness. As much as she fights with her younger sister, she truly loves her and sticks up for her.  Her family situation is really messed up, but she deals with it all with a strong front.

Sean was just that one character who I couldn't really like.  It's not that he was a bad person, because he wasn't.  He just made some really, really stupid choices.  He's had this master plan laid out for his college career for ages.  He needs to get a scholarship to Standford to play baseball and then he'd have Cara with him as well. However, all of his dreams start spiraling out of control when he starts taking heavy steroids and Cara starts pulling away from him.  He does some very messed up stuff in response.  His actions just kinda ruined his character for me.

I LOVED Andre.  He was definitely the character I wanted more of.  Andre comes from a very wealthy black family who expect him to do something major with his career.  Yet, all Andre wants to do is dance.  He's been taking lessons secretly, and has a real passion for it.  I felt that his story kind of got sucked into the black hole that was Kendra's younger sister. He completely falls for her, even though she's completely self destructive.  You can't help who you love though, and Andre sticks with her till the end.  I don't know what it was about him, but I just loved him.  He's so kind hearted and passionate that he quickly became my favorite character.

Overall, Perfect was another great success from Hopkins.  I don't think I'll ever not like one of her books.  I loved the little cameo appearance from Tony and Vanessa.  I still just heart Tony like none other.  Hehe. He really gives it to 'em too.  XD The ending was so sad.  Those last few lines just kind of broke my heart all over again.  I'm eagerly awaiting future books from Ms. Hopkins.

0 comments: