BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, September 23, 2011

Review: Eve

Synopsis:Where do you go when nowhere is safe? Sixteen years after a deadly virus wiped out most of Earth’s population, the world is a perilous place. Eighteen-year-old Eve has never been beyond the heavily guarded perimeter of her school, where she and two hundred other orphaned girls have been promised a future as the teachers and artists of the New America. But the night before graduation, Eve learns the shocking truth about her school’s real purpose—and the horrifying fate that awaits her. Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Arden, her former rival from school, and Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust . . . and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life. In this epic new series, Anna Carey imagines a future that is both beautiful and terrifying. Readers will revel in Eve’s timeless story of forbidden love and extraordinary adventure.


My Review: Eve was a pleasant surprise for me.  I have to admit I really wasn't expecting much, but I ended up getting more than I bargained for.

Eve is your classic good girl.  Always does what she's told, and never questions anything.  She is the shining star at her School and is said to be the brightest young lady to have ever gone through.  She has every reason to believe that she has a good life and that her future awaits her once she graduates.  All that changes however when she catches another girl breaking out.  What Arden says, shocks Eve to her core.  It  challenges everything she's ever been taught.  Yet a part of her has to know if what Arden says is true.  What she finds is enough to convince her that she has to escape too.  Leaving the safety of the school to face the outside world filled with wild dogs, gangs, and men, Eve is quickly lost.

The setting to Eve is a pretty typical dystopia world. Eve's world has been decimated by plague that has wiped out most of the countries population.  The only form of civilization is the capitol, a supposed shining beacon of hope for humanity and the continuance of the human race.  However, the capitol holds dark secrets and is not the haven it is made out to be.

On her journey Eve reunites with Arden and they encounter a boy named Caleb.  I didn't really like Arden at first, but by the end of the story she really grew on me.  She's tough as nails and doesn't take shit from anyone.  I really liked Caleb.  Took me a while to get over the dread locks, but he was a really great guy.  He stays by Eve's side till the end, even though he knows they won't be able to be together.  I really liked Eve as an MC as well.  She's really sweet and though a bit innocent, she's not naive.

Though I really enjoyed this book, it didn't quite do it for me.  I've been reading so many amazing dystopian novels lately that I can't help but compare.  Eve was really good and it was a captivating read, but it wasn't quite at the levels of amazing-ness as others of the same genre.  I look forward to future books and to see where Eve ultimately ends up.  A great start to a new series.

1 comments:

LoriStrongin said...

Interesting review--it surprised me to hear that you liked it, but it still didn't Wow you. I'm a sucker for a good boarding school story, and this sounds similar enough (at least at the beginning) to catch my interest.

Thanks for the rec!


Smiles!
Lori