BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, August 22, 2011

Review: Glow

Synopsis:What if you were bound for a new world, about to pledge your life to someone you'd been promised to since birth, and one unexpected violent attack made survival—not love—the issue? Out in the murky nebula lurks an unseen enemy: the New Horizon. On its way to populate a distant planet in the wake of Earth's collapse, the ship's crew has been unable to conceive a generation to continue its mission. They need young girls desperately, or their zealous leader's efforts will fail. Onboard their sister ship, the Empyrean, the unsuspecting families don't know an attack is being mounted that could claim the most important among them...

Fifteen-year-old Waverly is part of the first generation to be successfully conceived in deep space; she was born on the Empyrean, and the large farming vessel is all she knows. Her concerns are those of any teenager—until Kieran Alden proposes to her. The handsome captain-to-be has everything Waverly could ever want in a husband, and with the pressure to start having children, everyone is sure he's the best choice. Except for Waverly, who wants more from life than marriage—and is secretly intrigued by the shy, darkly brilliant Seth.

But when the Empyrean faces sudden attack by their assumed allies, they quickly find out that the enemies aren't all from the outside.

My Review: I'll tell  you upfront that I did not like this book.  On the back flap it says "Riveting, the next Hunger Games!" Uh no, I don't think so.  Forgive me if this review comes off a bit snotty, but I just had so many major problems with this book.  I'll do my best to be unbiased and give  you my honest opinion. 

The first issue I had with this book was that the author just throws you in.  There is no explanation as to the mission leading up to the ships departure, why they had to leave Earth, or anything about the ship itself.  Granted, the two MC's don't know hardly anything about Earth and the events leading up to their mission, but still.  The story starts and almost immediately it was "ATTACK!" I kind of need a bit more back story than that.  I felt like I was constantly trying to catch up on what was happening, because there was literally no explanation. 

Secondly, the whole idea of child snatching in order to repopulate kind of rubbed me the wrong way.  I understand the New Horizon's position, but I absolutely do not agree with Pastor Mather's decisions.  Granted the Pastor is one individual and she does not represent the New Horizon as a whole, but I just take issues with the idea in general. 

The whole tone of the novel really bothered me as well.  I'm pessimistic by nature, but I still believe in mankinds capability to do good.  People are not inherently evil.  They have a choice when it comes to their actions.  So many people in the novel made horribly immoral decisions.  I guess the author was trying to get the point across that absolute power corrupts absolutely, and that right and wrong are simply matters of perspective, but I thought all the horrors being committed was absolute overkill. 

And the religious aspect of the novel.  I am an atheist, yet I found myself mentally defending Kieran when he started giving Sermon's to help raise moral.  The idea that there is some higher being out there, that has a plan, to know that you are not alone is one of the single most important concepts for humanity.  Faith is what keeps people going, to not give up, to stay strong, and to do what is right.  Pastor Mather was corrupt.  She was an evil woman who committed horrible deeds.  She was the leader of a brainwashed religious cult on the New Horizon.  After Waverly's experience on that ship, I can understand why she would be terrified of any religious activities.  Yet what Kieran is doing isn't brainwashing or abusing power.  He's trying to give these orphaned and lost CHILDREN some hope.  They've been through hell and he is simply trying to give them the gift of faith.  I just thought the attitude towards religion was unfair. 

Okay, enough of what I did not like.  By the end of the novel the only character's I still liked were Waverly and Kieran.  Waverly is strong and opinionated and makes decisions for herself.  I really enjoyed her character overall.  Until the end that is, then I got pissed with her.  Kieran was naive, but he was inherently GOOD. He's kind and tries to be fair and does what is best for everyone.  I just hope that further into the story that he does not become corrupted.  Though I did not enjoy the story I still thought the writing was exceptional.  It had a good pace (excluding the beginning) and was very engrossing.  She did a good job of keeping you interested and at the edge of your seat. 

Well, I did my best.  If this came off as a bashing critique forgive me.  I tried to be objective.  I won't be reading any further books.  I had to force myself to even finish this, and I honestly don't think I'd be able to read any more.  Who knows, maybe it will get better.  But I'll leave you to judge this book for yourself. 

1 comments:

Fairday Morrow said...

I really enjoyed your honest review. The cover looked good- but after reading this review I don't think I want to read this book!

I found you through Book Blogs and signed up to follow you. When you have a chance- please stop by and follow the blog for my middle grade novel that I am hoping to get published. http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

Take care-
Jess- although I may show up as Fairday, the main character from my novel. I can't figure out why that happens sometimes and I can't fix it. :)