BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, August 8, 2011

Review: Fury

Synopsis: Sometimes sorry isn't enough....
It’s winter break in Ascension, Maine. The snow is falling and everything looks pristine and peaceful. But not all is as it seems...

Between cozy traditions and parties with her friends, Emily loves the holidays. And this year’s even better--the guy she’s been into for months is finally noticing her. But Em knows if she starts things with him, there’s no turning back. Because his girlfriend is Em’s best friend.

On the other side of town, Chase is having problems of his own. The stress of his home life is starting to take its toll, and his social life is unraveling. But that’s nothing compared to what’s really haunting him. Chase has done something cruel...something the perfect guy he pretends to be would never do. And it’s only a matter of time before he’s exposed.

In Ascension, mistakes can be deadly. And three girls—three beautiful, mysterious girls—are here to choose who will pay. Em and Chase have been chosen.


My Review: What first attracted me to Fury was the cover.  I mean, look at it! It’s gorgeous! What I would have never suspected was the fact that there was such a disjoint from the cover to the content of the story.  The girl on the cover is alluring and mysterious, with maybe a hint of sharpness in her eye.  What I ended up getting out of the story was nothing like I thought.  I have very mixed feelings on this novel.  It was different to say the least, but I can’t decide if it’s a good thing or not.  

The two main characters of the story, Em and Chase, aren’t the most upstanding of moral character.  Em is in love with her best friend’s boyfriend.  Chase, who is one of the most popular boys at school hides his own terrible secret and keeps his home life secret out of shame.  When a girl in their class attempts suicide, both Em and Chase are shaken.  What they don’t suspect is the fact that both of them have been chosen by forces beyond their understanding.  

The whole concept of the Furies being integrated into modern society is a very interesting premise.  I’m a Greek mythology nut, so I really appreciate the innovative idea.     It was unique to say the least. What I really didn’t like about it was the Furies nature.  Granted, the Furies were vindictive creatures with their own irrational form of justice.  It wasn’t about creating a fair punishment for wrongdoers.  It was about making them suffer as much as possible.  If the Furies chose you, you do not escape their wrath.  

What was so frustrating about the whole premise was the fact that Chase and Em were put through terrible situations in the name of “justice”.  What they had done was anything but noble, but they didn’t deserve their punishment.  I especially felt so about Chase.  He might not be the most upstanding gentleman, but I understood him.  You understand why he does the things he did.  I didn’t agree with the things he did, but he wasn’t a truly awful person.  What the Furies do to him in response to his actions was terrible, plain and simple.  The same with Em.  The two of them are not bad people, and they don’t deserve the fate that the Furies have planned for them. 

Yet it was this sense of inescapable terror that also made the novel compelling.  This is not a novel for the light hearted.  Good doesn’t always triumph over evil.  Justice does not mean that something is fair.  Life is not a movie with a happy ending.  I really think that’s what the author was trying to get across. The Furies are evil creatures and exact their revenge as they see fit.  It was dark and terrifying to read.  There really is no happy ending.  

In the end, I think that Fury will make waves in the YA community.  Most of them probably won’t be good.  We naturally want a happy ending and for the wrongdoers to be reprimanded.  No such thing happens in this novel however.  This is probably the only novel I’ve ever read that has a purposefully bad ending.  Did I like it? I honestly still don’t know.   However, I’m intrigued by it and will definitely have to read the sequel.  Who knows? Maybe with the second one I’ll fall in love with this new dark and morbid trilogy.  

1 comments:

Bookworm1858 said...

I had some very conflicting feelings while reading this: it was a little slow in the beginning, the Furies were super intense, not everything was explained enough, but overall I think I'm eager to read the next book, especially if Zach receives some punishment although I'll probably end up feeling sympathy for him when the Furies go overboard.