BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Review: Goliath

Synopsis: Alek and Deryn are on the last leg of their round-the-world quest to end World War I, reclaim Alek’s throne as prince of Austria, and finally fall in love. The first two objectives are complicated by the fact that their ship, the Leviathan, continues to detour farther away from the heart of the war (and crown). And the love thing would be a lot easier if Alek knew Deryn was a girl. (She has to pose as a boy in order to serve in the British Air Service.) And if they weren’t technically enemies.

The tension thickens as the Leviathan steams toward New York City with a homicidal lunatic on board: secrets suddenly unravel, characters reappear, and nothing is at it seems in this thunderous conclusion to Scott Westerfeld’s brilliant trilogy.


My Review: Here it is! The long awaited conclusion to the Leviathan trilogy! Since I first read Leviathan I have been absolutely in love with this world, and the characters.  I’ve been eagerly awaiting this since Behemoth.  Goliath definitely did not disappoint.  
  
Goliath picks up pretty much where Behemoth left off.  The revolutionaries’ coup went successfully and Deryn and Alek are back on the Leviathan.  The ship is now headed towards Japan, but on the way they pick up an unexpected tag along.  The famous inventor Tesla is now aboard the Leviathan and his presence has unexpected consequences for Alek.  I thought that Tesla’s appearance was definitely interesting.  Westerfeld did a good job of capturing all of his quirky personality traits. And yes, Tesla really was that weird.  Plus the incorporation of Tunguska? GENIUS! I had the biggest geek out moment ever when I realized where they were in Siberia.  I’m probably one of the few teenagers that actually knows what Tunguska is, but hey, I’m weird like that.  

Since these books began I have been waiting for the big Deryn reveal of “I’m a girl!”  I’ve imagined a dozen different scenarios in my head, but of course Westerfeld topped them all.  I loved the way Alek found out! Well I’m not gonna tell you, obviously, but it was perfect in my mind.  If anything, I think it increased Alek and Deryn’s bond.  I loved how they promised each other to always tell the truth. 
It’s so hard not to give any spoilers! So much happens! I have always loved Alek, but I have to say that he was totally amazing in Goliath.  The things he does for Deryn to keep her secret safe were just so awe worthy.  Every time I just felt so fluffy inside.  He was just such a sweet heart.  Deryn is one lucky lady.  And of course Deryn is full of kick ass badassery as usual.  I can’t imagine pulling half of the stunts she does and she always dives head first into trouble.  

I absolutely loved the ending as well.  Ugh it just drives me nuts that I can’t say anything!!! To say that it was perfect will just have to suffice.  I got my happy ending, and things ended well for both Deryn and Alek.  I’ll always want more for these two, but I’ll just have to be happy with the end they got.  This review probably wasn’t the greatest, but I don’t want to spoil ANYTHING! You’re just going to have to read it to appreciate the pure awesome-ness.  A fabulous conclusion to one of my favorite trilogies! 

0 comments: