BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, July 18, 2011

Review: Fracture

Synopsis: Eleven minutes passed before Delaney Maxwell was pulled from the icy waters of a Maine lake by her best friend Decker Phillips. By then her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead. And yet she somehow defied medical precedent to come back seemingly fine—despite the scans that showed significant brain damage. Everyone wants Delaney to be all right, but she knows she’s far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can’t control or explain, Delaney finds herself drawn to the dying. Is her altered brain now predicting death, or causing it?

My Review: After reading the synopsis for Fracture I was intrigued.  Near death experiences always peak my interest, and Fracture was no exception.  Fracture had me hooked from the first page.  It was full of drama and suspense from the very beginning.  When Delaney falls into the lake, your heart literally stops alongside hers.  Six days in a coma later, she suddenly wakes up.  It’s a miracle that no one can explain.  She shouldn’t have been able to put together coherent sentences much less be capable of retaining her memories.  She spent eleven minutes without oxygen before she was pulled out.  She should have been dead, yet she is very much alive.  

Delaney’s condition goes against everything we know of the brain.  She should have remained in a vegetative state, yet somehow she has full cognitive ability.  But as Delaney begins to recover and restart her life, she discovers that she’s not as okay as she had thought.  Unexplained tugging sensations along with jittery hands are afflicting her when she comes in close contact with someone who is going to die. Delaney can now sense the pull between life and death, yet is incapable of preventing it.  When she meets Troy, who has the same ability as her, she’s grateful to have found someone to confide in.  Yet Troy is not who he appears to be, and Delaney discovers that they aren’t as alike as she previously thought.  

I found Delaney’s brush with death and the consequent “death radar” a very interesting premise.  We only use about 10% of our brain.  Mankind knows more about the beginnings of the universe than it does about the full potential of the human brain. Given the right circumstances and stimuli who knows what humanity is capable of.  (I’m still putting my bets on telekinesis and mind reading) So in the long run, Delaney’s death sensing ability may be entirely possible.  Kinda cool to think about really.  Okay, my nerdy geek out moment is over.  Onto the review.  

I really liked Delaney’s character.  She’s a lot like me in a lot of ways, in the school department anyway.  She’s a bit of a neat freak.   Everything has to have its proper place and every book is alphabetized.  (also like me!) Plus she is stubborn as a mule.  She’s so confused about what’s happening to her, but she sticks to what she believes is right.  In the end she makes the best out of her new abilities and tries to help those who are dying the only way she can.  Her hot/cold relationship with Decker was so frustrating at times though.  They both love each other, end of story.  There was a lot of tip toeing around and no honesty going on.  In the end they both finally admit what they’ve been denying all along.  

I have to say that the ending totally surprised me.  Did NOT see that coming.  At all.  It was kind of fitting really, when I think about it.  I liked where the author left it.  I’m not entirely sure if there will be more books following this, but either way it was a good read.  I’m satisfied with the ending, but if there’s gonna be more I’m not gonna complain. :) Overall a very interesting read with lots of new ideas and concepts. 

1 comments:

Mflick1 said...

I love it when a book has a great twist at the end. It's like the author thinks "I know they are going to think this is how it ends, but wait til they get a load of this!"