BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Review: Oubliette

Synopsis:Reychel thought she was finally free. She was wrong.

Everyone saw her gift of prophecy as a blessing, but her gift is uncontrollable. No one alive can teach her to manipulate her unique gift and the answers she needs lie buried within a madman’s journals.

She’s thrust in the midst of a brewing war and the only uniting factor for her people is their belief in the Prophet. Will Reychel learn to control her gift or will she be forced to deliver a false prophecy that could lead her people into a violent, unwinnable war?


My Review:After the end of Anathema I was truly at a loss for where the story was going to go.  I was expecting a lot of magical training sessions and discovering Reychel's gift.  Boy was I in for a surprise.  The plot just kept having twist after twist.  Oubliette was definitely not a filler novel, like so many sequels are.  Megg really keeps you on your toes with the unexpected.

At the end of Anathema things kind of ended in a shit storm. Mark ran off with the Sons, Ivy was being locked away, and Reychel was surrounded by hostile guards.  Things don't get any better when Reychel is thrown into the Southern Kingdom via portal. She's greeted by a hostile teen princess with attitude.  To make matters worse she's Nemison's daughter, who sacrificed himself to save Reychel.  Things only get worse when Reychel finds out that the Southern kingdom is  preparing to overtake the Melborn population, with the aid of the Sons of Silence.  Reychel is being pressured into having a vision of victory, yet Reychel's gift has seemingly abandoned her.  She struggles to discover the secrets to her gift of prophecy before it is too late. 

I absolutely loved the major twist in the novel. Of course, I can't talk about it because that would completely spoil it, but it was epic.  Trust me.  Reychel doesn't let the prophecy control her life and makes her own decisions.  She strikes out and makes her own path, and it is truly the highlight of the book. There were so many great surprises throughout the story, yet there are still a few that are left open ended.  The struggle for dominance between the two races, just got even more desperate.  Reychel is definitely feeling the heat, but I'm glad she stuck with her convictions.  She refuses to lie and give a false prophecy and I really admired her for that.

At the end of Anathema Reychel thinks that Mark betrayed her trust.  At the time I was really glad that Megg threw in some conflict between them.  Then I realized just how much I truly enjoyed Mark's character when he was gone from the story for a while.  I just kept wishing for him to come back! In the end it all was just a lack of communication and I'm glad that it didn't get blown out of proportion.  I really enjoy Mark and Reychel's relationship so I'm glad it wasn't drama filled.

As for the new cast of characters I was pretty pleased.  You just never know who to trust! I thought I had certain people figured out, only to have them completely surprise me.  And not in a good way either.  In the end though, Reychel discovers new friends in the most unexpected of places.

My one criticism on the book is the fact that there were just a bit too many unexpected turns.  There were so many betrayals and lies that it was just a bit too much.  It was pretty minor though and didn't detract from the story. Overall Oubliette was a great continuation of the Cloud Prophet Trilogy and I cannot wait for Severed!

Tomorrow Megg will be on the blog doing an interview with the conclusion of her Oubliette Tour.  And I've got a bit of a surprise for everyone too! Stay tuned!

0 comments: