BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Review:Entwined

Synopsis:Azalea is trapped. Just when she should feel that everything is before her . . . beautiful gowns, dashing suitors, balls filled with dancing . . . it's taken away. All of it.
The Keeper understands. He's trapped, too, held for centuries within the walls of the palace. And so he extends an invitation.
Every night, Azalea and her eleven sisters may step through the enchanted passage in their room to dance in his silver forest.
But there is a cost.
The Keeper likes to keep things.
Azalea may not realize how tangled she is in his web until it is too late.


My Review: There was a rather large gap from when I started this to when I finished it.  I got about half way and then had to stop and I finished it two days ago.  It’s not because I lost interest, life was just crazy.  I’m glad I’m finally finished though, because I was going nuts trying to figure out what was going to happen. 

Entwined was the perfect fairy tale princess story.  It was an old fashioned kingdom full of balls, gowns, and magic.  Seems like every little girls dream right?  Not so much.   While on the surface Entwined is a fluffy fantasy, it has much darker roots.  I was intrigued by the way the author combined different elements to create this world.  There are castles, kings, and extravagant balls.  Then there are guns, the military, and war.  And then there are many different kinds of magic benevolent and dangerous in nature.  It was a unique mix to say the least.  As mismatched as it seems, I easily imagined this world in my head.  The imagery was very well done and I could literally see all the fantastic and terrifying things playing out in my head.  My one criticism on the world is that it seemed confined to the castle.  Granted that is where the story takes place and the girls are not allowed to leave, but I couldn’t help but feel that the world outside of the castle walls was under developed.  

The societal standards for mourning are suckish to say the least.  All windows and mirrors must be covered, the clocks all stopped at the time of death, the girls must remain inside the castle for a year, and most devastating of all, the girls cannot dance.  For the Azalea and her sisters this is unbearable.  Their mother taught them to dance and they feel that when they dance they are remembering her.  Their father, however, does not view it as such.   The first half of the novel I really, really disliked the King.  Yet as the story progressed I realized that he was dealing with his grief his own way and did not mean to hurt the girls.  He turned out to be a really great father.  

When the girls discover the magical passage and meet Keeper you immediately know that something fishy is up.  The situation is just too good to be true and though Keeper is devilishly good looking, there is an evil beneath his handsome face.  The girls going through the tunnel to dance at Keeper’s pavilion every night makes up the bulk of the story.  I thought it would get tedious after a while, but it was broken up nicely with different events and every visit revealed something new.  I was completely blindsided by who Keeper really was.  Now that I know, I realize that it was incredibly obvious.  I just did not connect the dots, AT ALL! I have to say though that I sympathize with Keeper.  He was made out to be the enemy, but in the end he simply wanted to die.  He’d been trapped for centuries and he simply wanted to pass on.  I really don’t view him as evil anymore.  A man who did many horrible things during his life, but one whose existence was so miserable and lonely that I can’t help but feel sorry for him.  I’m sympathizing with the villain, who woulda thunk? 

I really enjoyed Azalea and her sisters.  Their shenanigans were entertaining to say the least.  Azalea and Bramble were my favorite though.  Bramble had incredible spunk and attitude and had red hair that went past her knees.  She just kinda rocked in my book.  Azalea had spunk of the different variety.  She was cool and collected yet still let passion guide her.  Her little fits of rage made me want to cheer her on, and I was so glad she spoke her mind.  I’m soooo happy that the three eldest sisters got their happily ever afters.  I loved all the love interests and was super happy for Bramble in particular.  Teddy was just utterly adorable.  

Entwined proved to be an interesting read that transported me to another world.  There were many aspects that I enjoyed and it was a good read.  It didn’t really stick out for me though.  There was nothing that made it amazing or a “need to read” book.  A good story nonetheless.  After all, who doesn’t like happy endings? 

1 comments:

Lisa said...

Elevenb sister? Holy cow!
And yeah life can get in the way, sometimes I wish I could just lay down for hours on end reading:/
But anyways great review:D
lisa
www.turningpages94.blogspot.com