BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Review: Will Grayson, Will Grayson

Synopsis:One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two teens—both named Will Grayson—are about to cross paths. As their worlds collide and intertwine, the Will Graysons find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, building toward romantic turns-of-heart and the epic production of history’s most fabulous high school musical.
Hilarious, poignant, and deeply insightful, John Green and David Levithan’s collaborative novel is brimming with a double helping of the heart and humor that have won both them legions of faithful fans.


My Review: I’ve wanted to read this for ages! I’ve just been waiting for it to come out on paperback because I’m a cheap ass.  Thanks to Mike I didn’t have to wait! *hugs* Even though it was LONG overdue.  :P He said I’d love it, and I did.  Devoured it in record amount of time too.  

I’ve read a lot of John Green books, but I’ve yet to read one by David Levithan.  I mean I adore Nick and Nora’s Infinite Playlist, but I’ve never read the actual book.  After finishing Will Grayson, Will Grayson I will definitely be picking  up his books.  The two of them are simply pure comedic genius.  It never ceases to amaze me how much I laugh.  And I don’t mean “haha” laughing, I mean deep bellied snorting laughter.  Should I have admitted that I snort when I laugh on the internet?  Probably not, but it’s just REALLY funny.  One of my favorite lines was “Why do you have to fix the salad?  Who broke it? I didn’t touch it.  Did you break the salad, mom? If you did, YOU’D BETTER FIX IT!”  HYSTERICAL! Maybe I’m just easily amused, but it was little smart-alecky remarks and sarcasm that made it truly hilarious.  

With two Will Grayson’s in the book you’d think I’d favor one over the other.  Surprisingly enough I don’t have a favorite.  Actually the character’s I really loved were Gideon and W.G.2’s mother.   Both Will’s were equally awesome and had their own problems and faults.  The fateful night they meet, both their lives are irrevocably changed.  They both change for the better and have important realizations.  Uniting the two Will’s together is Tiny Cooper.  Picture the gay dude from Mean Girls and you got Tiny.  At least that’s how I picture him in my head except with lighter hair.  Tiny is epic on many levels, but what I really loved about his character was his desire to make other people happy.  He may come off as obnoxiously flamboyant and word vomits quite a bit, but at the root of it all he just wants his loved ones to be happy.  Both Will’s love him: one as a best friend and the other as a boyfriend.  In the end, the story is ultimately about him.  Concluding with a fantastic musical of course.  Can’t beat the musicals.  

What I really loved about this book was the authors’ ability to create emotionally complicated characters.  Both Will’s have so much depth.  You can’t chalk up any one character’s action to a particular default.  They created wonderfully three dimensional characters that come alive as you read.  I particularly loved the ending.  It was absolutely perfect.  They left it open just a smidge, but the message was absolutely wonderful.  I commend both Wills! 

I knew as soon as this came out that I would love it.  For a while I thought that the Will’s were going to hook up, but I’m glad that they didn’t take the obviously route.  The lesson’s that both Will’s learn through the after affects of meeting each other ultimately change them for the better.  I loved it and I look forward to any other collaborations between these two. 

1 comments:

IvaliceAlliance said...

This book is awesome! Glad you loved it. <3 Tiny Cooper