BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, May 9, 2011

Review: Queen of the Dead

Synopsis: After being sent back from the light, Alona Dare - former homecoming queen, current Queen of the Dead - finds herself doing something she never expected: working. Instead of spending days perfecting her tan by the pool (her typical summer routine when she was, you know, alive), Alona must now cater to the needs of other lost spirits. By her side for all of this - ugh - “helping of others” is Will Killian: social outcast, seer of the dead, and someone Alona cares about more than she’d like.
Before Alona can make a final ruling on Will’s “friend” or “more” status, though, she discovers trouble at home. Her mom is tossing out Alona’s most valuable possessions, and her dad is expecting a new daughter with his wicked wife. Is it possible her family is already moving on? Hello! She’s only been dead for two months! Thankfully, Alona knows just the guy who can put a stop to this mess.
Unfortunately for Alona, Will has other stuff on his mind, and Mina, a young (and beautiful) seer, is at the top of the list. She’s the first ghost-talker Will’s ever met—aside from his father—and she may hold answers to Will’s troubled past. But can she be trusted? Alona immediately puts a check mark in the “clearly not” column. But Will is - ahem - willing to find out, even if it means leaving a hurt and angry Alona to her own devices, which is never a good idea.


My Review: It’s been a while since I read the Ghost and the Goth, but I was super excited to read Queen of the Dead.  The first one was one of those “cute” reads that are entertaining and a quick read, but I really felt that the sequel was firmly in the realm of a legitimate plot.  Maybe the writing improved, or the story was just that more developed but I really enjoyed it.  I was very pleased with where the story went.  Well…maybe not pleased, but I definitely thought it added a unique twist.  

Queen of the Dead picks up relatively right after the end to the first book.  Alona and Will are still the daring supernatural duo, trying to help ghosts settle their unresolved problems.  Their relationship is still on undefined grounds, but things quickly go from normal to just plain weird.  When Will meets another ghost-speaker he is suddenly desperate for answers and Alona feels like she is being abandoned.  Combined with the fact that her dad is having a new baby and her mother is getting rid of all of her stuff, Alona feels like Will is abandoning her too.  

I’m so glad the author decided to give us some background knowledge on the whole “ghost-speaking” thing.  There’s a whole secret society of people like Will and they are devoted to “serving the living” and that means trapping and studying ghosts.  What is even more puzzling for Will is that it seems that his father was once a part of this organization, yet he had kept it hidden from Will all his life.  It answered a few questions, but we’re still left wanting more.  The surface has only been skimmed and I feel that in the next book it is really going to be expanded on.  

Alona is still, well, Alona.  What can ya really say?  There are many things I like about her character, but her almost constant selfish-ness can be grating on the nerves at times.  I don’t really feel like it’s a serious character flaw, and it doesn’t stop me from liking her so I guess I don’t mind too much.  You just have to admire her stubbornness and her absolute determination to do what she wants.  What she ends up doing in this book though kind of bothered me.  Granted it was an accident, and she was panicking because Will was “leaving her behind” but still.  Poor lack of judgment.  I really don’t know how that particular twist is going to play out.  I’m very intrigued for the next one, because for the last 1/3 of the book I was glued.  

And then there’s Will.  I just love Will.  It was really sweet to see his developing feelings for Alona.  I really liked it when he said that he couldn’t imagine his life without Alona in it.  Just so cute! I kind of feel bad for him though.  He gets beaten up a lot in this book.  Well not literally beaten up, but cut and scraped and bruised.  The things he does for ghosts.  Haha.  

Overall a wonderful sequel.  I have a feeling that these books are just going to get better and better.  Plus well it’s still a cute little romance and the plotline is getting more and more intriguing.  I was very pleased and I cannot wait for the third one!

2 comments:

Alexa said...

I'm excited for the third book as well especially with the way this one ended! I thought the first one was better though I still did like Queen of the Dead

Lisa said...

Really glad you liked it! I received this from Net Galley and need to get my hands on the first book!