BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Review: The Day Before

Synopsis: Sometimes there's no turning back.

Amber's life is spinning out of control. All she wants is to turn up the volume on her iPod until all of the demands of her family and friends fade away. So she sneaks off to the beach to spend a day by herself.

Then Amber meets Cade. Their attraction is instant, and Amber can tell that he's also looking for an escape. Together they decide to share a perfect day: no pasts, no fears, no regrets.

The more time that Amber spends with Cade, the more she's drawn to him. And the more she's troubled by his darkness. Because Cade's not just living in the now--he's living each moment like it's his last.


My Review: When I opened this I was shocked to find that this was poetry.  Not that I don't like poetry, but I just wasn't expecting it.  Took me a little while to get into, but once I got a little ways I was hooked.  Plus, like all poetry, it reads super fast so I devoured this in one sitting. 

I really enjoyed Amber's character.  She's obsessed with music, loves P!nk, and likes to live in the moment.  We'd be best buds.  What I really loved in particular was the way the author gradually revealed why Amber was at the beach.  You don't get an explanation but are just thrown along for the ride.  We get to know what transpired through letters written in the past, so it was nice to have the story unfold as you read. I really sympathized with Amber.  I won't give anything away, but if I was in her situation I really don't know how I would react.  It's all so emotionally confusing, and her heart clashes with her head.  Truth be told I think I would have done the same thing she did.  Take a day to myself and just try and forget the rest of the world.

When Amber meets Cade sparks instantly fly.  I absolutely ADORED how they would go "Do you know that movie?"  Granted if I was looking at an aquarium full of jellyfish my first movie connection would have been Finding Nemo, but Seven Pounds would have been number two!  My dad and I play the same game except for we quote from the movie.  It is probably the cutest thing a couple in a novel has done, ever.  Maybe I'm biased because whatever guy I end up dating MUST love movies and be just as much of a dork as I am.  Still, it was super cute and it showed just how compatible they were.  Another romance where they have common interests!!! Woot! Cade and Amber are both looking to forget their own troubles and they find companionship in each other.  They vow to not ask questions and just enjoy the day together.  They're growing attraction was just so natural.  They both love music, Amber is a drummer and Cade writes his songs and plays guitar.  Their chemistry was just awesome.

I really enjoyed the carpe diem theme in this book.  Amber just wants to live one day in the moment before she has to turn back to her obligations.  Cade equally wants to live life to the fullest.  Amber's family thinks that what she's doing is being selfish, but in reality she just needs a day for herself.  I completely understood where she was coming from.  A lot of the realization's that Amber makes throughout her day really struck a chord.  The author had some really nice insights about life in general that I found really refreshing. 

I thought the ending was both bittersweet and perfect.  Cade and Amber only get to be with each other for a day, but I thought the ending was really sweet.  They still keep in contact and vow to meet up with each other as soon as Amber returns.  It was a very quick read and an absolutely adorable little love story.  I really enjoyed it and thought that it contained some good life lessons as well.  Very sweet story.  ^.^ 



0 comments: