BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Review: The Water Wars

Synopsis:Vera and her brother, Will, live in the shadow of the Great Panic, in a country that has collapsed from environmental catastrophe. Water is hoarded by governments, rivers are dammed, and clouds are sucked from the sky. But then Vera befriends Kai, who seems to have limitless access to fresh water. When Kai suddenly disappears, Vera and Will set off on a dangerous journey in search of him-pursued by pirates, a paramilitary group, and greedy corporations. Timely and eerily familiar, acclaimed author Cameron Stracher makes a stunning YA debut that's impossible to forget. 


My Review: I was really excited for this book.  I adore dystopian novels, and Water Wars seemed like an excellent premise.  Plus, well the cover is extraordinary.  As amazing as I thought it was going to be, it really didn’t meet my expectations.   

A future without water is definitely something to be fearful of.  Water is more sought after than oil or precious metals, and people will kill for it.  Why exactly the water has disappeared, the reader never really finds out.  I assume it’s through sheer human stupidity and over consumption of our natural resources.  Not such an unlikely outcome for humanity really.  As interesting as a premise as it was, I didn’t think it was executed well.  

My biggest problem with this novel is the plotline.  It started out well paced but after a while it was just catastrophe after catastrophe.  Eventually I was just like “seriously?  More explosions and guns?”  I’d rather they be captured once and be done with it.  Instead they were tossed around about four times.  It just got tiring and made it unrealistic.  As far as the climax went it was completely skipped over.  There was one point in the novel where I was really hooked and things got really exciting, but it wasn’t the climax.  What should have been the most intense part of the novel was completely skipped over!  I literally went “wait, what?” I was completely disappointed.  I just wasn’t satisfied with where the story went.  There are so many loose endings that I’m not appeased that the story was completed.  I don’t know if there will be future books, but as a standalone I don’t think it’s very strong.  

I really don’t have many complaints besides the plot.  I enjoyed the world and thought it was well thought out.  It’s an intriguing idea I’ll admit it.  I can’t really say that I connected with the characters all that much.  The writing was a bit dry and focused more on events rather than emotions and feelings.  Not that it was poorly written, because it wasn’t, but I would just have liked to get into the MC’s head a bit more.  

It was a fast read and while action packed a bit more development would have been nice.  If there are going to be more books then maybe some of my questions will be answered. Overall it was a great idea, but it just didn't meet my expectations. 

0 comments: