BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Review: Falling Under

Synopsis: Theia Alderson has always led a sheltered life in the small California town of Serendipity Falls. But when a devastatingly handsome boy appears in the halls of her school, Theia knows she's seen Haden before- not around town, but in her dreams.

As the Haden of both the night and the day beckons her closer one moment and pushes her away the next, the only thing Theia knows for sure is that the incredible pull she feels towards him is stronger than her fear.

And when she discovers what Haden truly is, Theia's not sure if she wants to resist him, even if the cost is her soul.


My Review: Going into this I really didn't know what to expect.  The synopsis really doesn't give you that much to go on other than Haden is something supernatural.  At the start of the novel I really wasn't that impressed.  I felt like I was just tossed into the story.  A bit more of an introduction would have been nice.  It really wasn't until I hit page 155 (yes I remember the exact page because I tweeted it!) that I truly started to love the story.  

I really wish that someone would come up with a new way to introduce a hot love interest than the "new boy at school" persona.  I just HATE IT.  I honestly don't know another way to introduce someone new to a story though, and it just sucks because it's so unoriginal.  Plus well I kept getting flashes of Edward and Bella throughout.  The whole hot and cold love issues, and "I have to stay away to protect you", and the treating you friends like shit because you become so hung up over a guy.  Ya.  Definitely some similarities, but that's probably just because I hate Twilight with a fiery passion.  I could have gotten hung up on them.  Thankfully I didn't.  Once I got past that I really fell in love with the story.  


Theia's upbringing was SO frustrating to me.  I'm a very outgoing person and so having an MC that was SO reserved and rigid just rubbed me the wrong way.  Yet that wasn't what was so frustrating.  Theia WANTED to do things she wasn't suppose to.  She wanted to pick her own clothes, she wanted to go dancing with her friends, and on and on.  Yet she didn't act on any of those impulses  She was so stuck in obeying her father and playing it safe that it really kind of drove me nuts.  When she finally started to pull out of her shell I was so thrilled.  Though she was super shy, she really was a wonderful MC.  I greatly enjoyed her character and loved her wild hair and her passion for music.  

I absolutely loved all the secondary characters.  Theia's friends were a complete hoot.  Ame and Donny were a perfect compliment to each other and Theia.  Plus Gabe and Varnie were just great  Gabe is really a great guy and even though he's "popular" he is a perfect match for Donny and her overbearing sarcasm.  Varnie is a cross-dressing psychic surfer and he is AMAZING.   I think I would pretty much marry the guy.  And his little crush on Ame is just so freakin adorable, even though Ame is clueless.  He's just an all around good guy and his exasperation over the fact that NO ONE listens to him when he says that it is a VERY bad idea is just plain hysterical.  


It is SO hard to not give any spoilers because SO MUCH happens!  And I loved all the plot twists, yet I can't talk about them! It seems like everything I adored about this novel would be a major spoiler.  :(  I was just extremely pleased with where the plot went.  It was unexpected and kept me on my toes.  And the ending was just perfect in my mind.  It closed up the novel but didn't leave me with a gigantic cliff hanger.  The sacrifices that Theia and Haden make for each other, really make me believe in true love.  I'm a soppy romantic through and through and Falling Under definitely fulfilled my need for romance. 
 

1 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh I'm so excited! I received this in the mail the other day and absolutely can't wait to read it!