BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Review: Fins are Forever

Synopsis: On Lily Sanderson’s eighteenth birthday she’ll become just a girl—still a mer girl, true, but signing the renunciation paperwork will ink Princess Waterlily of Thalassinia out of existence. That leaves plain old Lily living on land, dating the boy she loves, and trying to master this being human thing once and for all.  Now that Lily and Quince are together, mer-bond or not, she’s almost content to give up her place in the royal succession of Thalassinia. But just when she thinks she has everything figured out, Lily’s father sends a certain whirlpool-stirring cousin to stay with her on land. What did Doe do to get herself exiled from Thalassinia and stuck in terraped form, when everyone knows how much she hates humans? And why why why is she batting her eyelashes at Lily’s former crush, Brody?  The seafoam on the surf comes when a merboy from Lily’s past shows up. Tellin asks Lily for something that clouds her view of the horizon. There’s a future with Quince on land, her loyalty to the kingdom in the sea, and Lily tossing on the waves in the middle. Will she find a way to reconcile her love, her duty, and her dreams?

My Review: So I devoured this in one sitting, and in just a few hours.  One thing I love about Tera's writing is her ability to suck you in and never want to look away from the pages.  I ended up having rather mixed feelings about this.  Maybe it's because I just finished it and haven't had time to process.  I just feel like this was filled with so much drama.  Tera was feeding the drama llama as I like to say.  It was a bit overwhelming to be honest.  Lily and Quince overcame the biggest obstacles in the first book, to finally reach their happy ending.  They love each other, Lily will be on land to be with Quince, and all without the bond.  They deserved some couple time.  Did they get it?  No. 

Dosinia's action for one were completely unbelievable to me.  Her motivation? Non-existent! I don't think I could ever forgive her actions just because of a little temper tantrum and a mediocre half-hearted "plan".  Plus with what ends up happening with Brody?  Selfish much.  She really is the spoiled little inconsiderate brat Lily knows she is.  However, Doe became likeable towards the end.  Doesn't really make up for her earlier blind hatred, but I didn't end up hating her.  Lily truly is successful in "reforming" her, but just the fact she had to to begin with was rather annoying. 

I was dealing with Doe in the plot just fine until Tellin came into the picture.  Tellin is one of Lily's closest childhood friends.  He also happens to be the crown prince of the neighboring kingdom.  See where this is going?  Exactly.  *bangs head on wall* While I found Tellin's character to be enjoyable, I didn't think he was a necessary complication to the plot.  He just complicated things and made them more pressing.  See?  The drama llama strikes again.

I still really like Lily and Quince.  I think they're fabulous together and have a great relationship. Yet, they're relationship doesn't shine through at all in this book and it kind of disappointed me. I just couldn't help but feel like this was all filler. And if the way this one ended is any indication, there will be further drama to come in the third.  And I just have this awful feeling that things are going to get beyond complicated in the most ridiculous sort of way. 

I've come to a conclusion about these books.  I greatly enjoy them. They're fun, entertaining, filled with romance, and something is ALWAYS happening.  But beyond that, they don't really endear themselves to me in the sense of "these are fantastic books" type of way.  They're cute.  If you're looking for a light hearted love story with spunk then these books are definitely what you are looking for, and that's why I continue to read them.  I'm hoping the third book will pull through for me.  I really enjoy the story and would hate to see them ruined by too much melodrama.  

1 comments:

~*Jessica Rabbit*~ said...

I love the cover to these, I'm not big on YA or mermaids but I admit this series has been tugging on my interest. Loved the review too. :)