BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, March 21, 2011

Review: Born at Midnight

Synopsis: One night Kylie Galen finds herself at the wrong party, with the wrong people, and it changes her life forever.  Her mother ships her off to Shadow Falls—a camp for troubled teens, and within hours of arriving, it becomes painfully clear that her fellow campers aren’t just “troubled.”  Here at Shadow Falls, vampires, werewolves, shapshifters, witches and fairies train side by side—learning to harness their powers, control their magic and live in the normal world. Kylie’s never felt normal, but surely she doesn’t belong here with a bunch of paranormal freaks either.  Or does she?  They insist Kylie is one of them, and that she was brought here for a reason.  As if life wasn’t complicated enough, enter Derek and Lucas.  Derek’s a half-fae who’s determined to be her boyfriend, and Lucas is a smokin’ hot werewolf with whom Kylie shares a secret past.  Both Derek and Lucas couldn’t be more different, but they both have a powerful hold on her heart. 
Even though Kylie feels deeply uncertain about everything, one thing is becoming painfully clear—Shadow Falls is exactly where she belongs…

My Review:  I have to admit the reason I read this is that the MC has the same name as me. Silly, I know, but how many times does a character have the name Kylie? Though my spelling is way cooler.  ^.^ What really creeped me out though was how similar we are.  Same name. Same hair color and eye color (well I'm a natural blond, I just dye it brown) Our parents are recently divorced.  And we both suffer from the "too nice syndrome".  *looks around* Are there camera's I'm not aware of? Lol but really, it was kind of weird how eerily similar we are. 

A camp for supernaturals.  Not the most original idea in the world, but the story was still good.  Shadow Falls had interesting dynamics between all the different supes and their bickering were entertaining to say the least.  Miranda (a dyslexic witch) and Della (a vampire) were simply hysterical.  Their verbal sparring matches were just too funny.  I rather enjoyed Perry as well.  Most powerful shapeshifter in the world? Very cool.  Though his methods of trying to gain Miranda's attention always back fired, I thought he was adorable. 

While a lot of the secondary characters I found loveable, Kylie got on my nerves a little bit.  She gets on a bus and sees kids dressed in black, with multi-colored hair, and piercings, and she immediately labels them freaks.  Bothered me a bit.  Well, okay, more than a bit.  Kylie definitely went down a few notches in my book.  Then there's the fact that she's in firm denial.  Despite what everyone tells her, she will simply not accept that she's not entirely human.  That and she treats Della like a pariah every time she sees her drinking blood.  And the way she gets freaked out when Perry transforms.  Just gah.  Though she eventually does overcome her phobias and accepts who she is, it took her 7/8 of the book to do so.  A bit tedious?  Definitely. 

 Then there' the whole romance situation.  O.O I wanted to stab myself.  How is it possible to have that many feeling for so many guys?  I'd explode from emotional frustration!  She's hung up on her ex who happens to resemble the half-fae Derek.  She can't tell whether or not her feelings for him are stemming from his resemblance to her ex or if she is genuinely attracted to him.  Then there's the fact that she is still attracted to her ex.  And THEN there's Lucas.  The guy who she fears and yet is undeniably attracted to.  *rips hair out*  It was just ridiculous.  She eventually gets over her ex (who dumped her because she wouldn't have sex with him and then proceeded to bang another girl) but then is stuck between Lucas and Derek. She shares passionate kisses with both of them! I had to resist the urge to punch a wall.  Make up your mind girl! She is so indecisive! I can tell she's going to string Derek along and then hook up with Lucas.  Because you just know the "fiery romance" will always win out on the more stable relationship.  >.<

While I didn't find the story horrible, it was pretty average.  The climax of the novel, and the big reveal about what was causing problems for the camp was completely anti-climatic.  After it was over, I was just like "THAT was the climax? Oh...." The writing was good and it was a good story of self discovery, but otherwise it was rather blah.  It was over 400 pages and I felt like nothing of importance happened.  I'm rather on the fence.  It was un-impressionable, but at the same time not a bad story.   *shrugs* I just feel rather non-committal about this book.  I didn't like it, but I didn't hate it. 


2 comments:

Khadija said...

YAy for being so much like the main character! I don't think i'm ever going to find one namned Khadija that is as cool as me :P

Sorry to hear you thought this one was just average. I think i'll be giving it a try though since i've been waiting so long for it :)

Happy World Poetry Day!
http://blackfingernailedreviews.blogspot.com/

Alexa said...

Hmm I actually kinda liked this book but I can see what you are saying. I feel torn though between Derek and Lucas I mean like you said on one hand you have the stable Derek but who doesn't love the bad boy side to Lucas. A lot of drama, plus a lot of stuff had to be explained in this book so maybe the second one will give you more action Ky.