BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Review: Paranormalcy

Synopsis: Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours. But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures. So much for normal.



My Review: Paranormalcy is one of the most hyped of books of late.  So hyped up in fact that I was afraid to read it.   I've just read too many books, that everybody just raved about, that I ended up not liking.  When I finally bought Paranormalcy I was thinking, "Hey what the heck I'll just buy it."  Then it sat on my shelf for ages, too terrified to crack it open.  My own mother read it before I did.  I can't believe I let it sit un-read for so long.  I devoured it in one day.  A school day even.  Granted I was reading during a movie, and during lunch, but that just shows you how glued to it I was.  I was blown away. 

I absolutely loved Evie.  Everything about her was just awesome, her personality, her obsession with pink, her witty remarks, she was just amazing.  If you could pick your best friend, I would pick Evie.  She is so friendly and goofy that you can't help but fall in love with her character.  Evie's led an incredibly tough life.  Her parents abandoned her, she was shuffled in Foster Care until she was eight, and had a very tramatic experience with a vampire. Because of her unique ability to see through paranormal's glamours, she is extremely valuable to IPCA.  So valuable in fact that Evie isn't allowed to lead a normal life.  She's never gone to school, made human friends, or had something as mundane as a locker. (Inside joke with the locker reference lolz) She is stuck between the world of humanity and the paranormal world.   Evie's never had a normal life, and things just keep getting weirder.

Although the whole idea of a paranormal police force has long ago been introduced to the paranormal genre, White defintiely adds her own unique twist.  International Paranormal Contral Agency is not just a police force.  They tag and monitor all paranormals so that they do not become a threat to humanity.  IPCA is all that Evie has ever known, and she accepts their rules and regulations with no questions asked.  Until one day a shapeshifter breaks into headquarters and is imprisoned there indefinitely.  Evie begins to see that IPCA may not hold all the answers and that their way is not the only one.  As the novel progresses, Evie's perception of the world changes and her eyes are finally opened.  When paranormals start showing up dead, and the faeries grow ever more insistent on taking Evie, things start to hit the fan. 

And now it's time to moon over hot guys.  Okay, well, only one guy because I hated Reth with a fiery passion.  Lend was just wow. Amazing, fantastic, gorgeous, unique, the list of adjectives goes on and on.  He is just about the coolest paranormal creature ever.  And quite possibly the hottest.  Okay, I'm obsessed.  I admit it, but trust me you will be too!  Plus he's an artist!  My inner art geek just connected.  Him and Evie were just utterly perfect.  They made my all time favorite couples list.  Their relationship was just developed so nicely, and at the perfect pace.  I think I finally got my perfect teenage romance.  I never thought I'd live to see the day, but boy am I happy I did.  I can't commend White enough with how well she developed their relationship. 

Another aspect of Paranormalcy that I think is worthy of note is the pacing.  A lot of plots are paced too fast, especially in the romance department.  White literally had a perfectly paced novel.  The story didn't drag, events happened at an even pace, and the climax was all that it lived up to be. All I can say is it was masterfully done.  If I didn't know better I'd say this is White's tenth novel, not her debut.  I was very impressed to say the least and I can't wait to read more from her. 

I can safely say that I'm an utter fangirl now.  The story, the characters, and the romance were all wonderful. I'm completely sucked into Evie's world and I am dying for more.  And just because I adore the cover, here's a pic of the sequel Supernaturally.  Everybody else just as excited as I am?!   


5 comments:

Blueicegal ♥ said...

WHAT really? I thought it was on the childish side. Never thought you would like it, well what do you know :D

Alexa said...

I own this one but I haven't read it yet. This is the problem when you have a tbr pile that has 250+ books in it.

Amanda said...

I haven't read it yet, I've been toying with picking it up at the book store. I guess now I need to get it. lol

Khadija said...

HA! I knew you'd love it! :) And glad I was right! Great review Ky, I can't wait to read Supernaturally!

Mflick1 said...

I had the same concerns about this book. Everyone LOVED it! I am glad you really liked it! I am going to commit next time I walk by it in a store!