BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, January 10, 2011

Review: Unearthly

Synopsis: In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .

Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.  Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.  As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?
Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.

My Review: 
Frankly I wasn’t all that excited to read this.  I’ve been disappointed with all the latest angel books of late and didn’t have high hopes for Unearthly.  I am very glad to say that I was proven otherwise.  I ended up absolutely loving this book!  I was so surprised by how events turned out.  I really commend the author for switching things up, because if she hadn’t I wouldn’t have fallen in love with this book as much as I did.    
It definitely starts you off right in the middle of things.  I’m glad the author didn’t spend too much time leading up to the big angel thing.  Clara already knows of her heritage and about her purpose so you don’t have to wait for the plot to get started.  Clara is one fourth angel, her mother being half angel.  Every angel-blood has a purpose that comes to them in visions around puberty.  Clara’s purpose comes to her in snatches and ultimately causes her family to move from their sunny Californian home to Wyoming.  

Now I’m from Nebraska.  The rest of the country says that Nebraska is hick country.  Well us Nebraskans do that with Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho.  I know we’re all horrible people.  Sadly it’s what happens.  What is there to do in any of those states?  I really don’t have a clue, but I do know that it is some of the most beautiful country ever.  I remember Yellowstone from when I was a kid and the site has never faded from memory.  I’m a huge nature freak and love being outdoors so Wyoming naturally appeals to me.  Clara is just as entranced with Wyoming’s amazing scenery.  When I am settling down in life, that area of the country will be my top pick. 

Clara has always been popular, not queen of homecoming or anything like that, but she’s always been well liked.  When she starts school in her new town, she is suddenly the outcast.  She finds unexpected friends, and ultimately the reason she has moved there, Christian.  Clara knows that their fates are intertwined, yet she doesn’t know how.  The boy of her dreams, literally, is right within reach yet she can’t reveal herself.  Her determination to become a part of his life to get to know him better for her purpose turns into something more.  She starts to fall for him, with everyone telling her opposite things.  Her mother encourages it, while her best friend advises against it. 

Okay here comes mild spoilers.  If you truly want to read this, and want the full effect of the utter amazingness DO NOT CONTINUE.  

A whole year comes and goes and she ends up just being friends with Christian, even though she yearns for something more.  Summer and Clara’s birthday are fast approaching and all of her friends are leaving.  Even her own mother is leaving for a week to go back to California for work.  Intending to spend the day alone, she is surprised when Tucker, her best friends brother and consequently her arch enemy, offers to spend the day with her.  Tucker teases her constantly and the two of them are always having a battle of wits.  Even though the two of them fight almost constantly, she is touched by the gesture.  They end up having an awesome time together, and soon Clara finds herself making plans with Tucker every day.  Maybe Tucker isn’t as bad as he led her to believe.  Plus well Tucker is a hard working rancher boy clad in well fitted Levi jeans.  Trust me girls, it is amazing what a simple pair of jeans can do.  And well ya know cowboy boots can be highly attractive.  Living in cow country isn’t entirely a bad thing…and Tucker definitely pulls it off.  *waggles eyebrows*

End spoilers!

What I truly loved about this story, while it was a fresh take on angels and their descendents, was how Clara defied her “destiny”.   I do not understand what is with YA books and the fore-destined love story that is “meant to be” but I am sick of it!  Clara knows the importance of her purpose, but her love runs deeper than any higher calling.  It was truly amazing and makes you believe that anyone can find true love.  I can’t express how glad I was with Clara’s decision.  I support it 100 percent!  I absolutely loved this book and I’m fairly certain that everyone else will too.  It defies all other YA paranormal fiction out there and will rock your socks off!  

2 comments:

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

I keep seeing the most amazing reviews for this! I really wasn't all that stunned by the premise, but I'm sure it's good if someone who wasn't excited for it ended up liking it. Great review! :)

Ky said...

Honestly it wasn't so much as the story as the decisions Clara makes that are truly inspiring. For once the girl picks the RIGHT GUY, not because they're "destined to be" but because she truly loves him. That was what truly made this book amazing. I didn't think I was going to like it, but I ended up loving it. Definitely read it! XD