BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Review: Torment

Synopsis: Hell on earth. That's what it's like for Luce to be apart from her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel. It took them an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts - immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students -Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans. At Shoreline, Luce learns what the Shadows are, and how she can use them as windows to her previous lives. Yet the more Luce learns, the more she suspects that Daniel hasn't told her everything. He's hiding something - something dangerous. What if Daniel's version of the past isn't actually true? What if Luce is really meant to be with someone else? The second novel in the addictive FALLEN series . . . where love never dies.

My Review:  When I first got my hands on Fallen I was really excited, and ultimately really disappointed.  I kind of felt obligated to read Torment simply to satisfy my curiosity with what happens with the story.  I’m surprised to say that I’m glad I did read it.  It might have saved this trilogy for me.  
 
My biggest problem with Fallen was the blind love that Luce had for Daniel.  It’s clear that Daniel is holding back what he knows and it bugged the crap out of me.  In Torment Luce finally sees that Daniel is not telling all that he knows.  She has to find out important revelations from her new Nephilim friends and even Cam, her supposed enemy.  It was like the fog had finally lifted!  I could have hugged her.  Luce and Daniel really fight a lot in this book, but ya know, true love prevails and whatnot.  Oh and by the way.  The way that everyone talks about Luce and Daniel and how she’ll supposedly burst into flame if they “do it” was just WEIRD.  I mean that was some creepy ass gossip.  And does she really burst into flames?  I couldn’t actually tell whether or not that was gossip or for real.  Once again.  Disturbing.  O.O
I’m kind of torn on how I feel about the change of location.  While the reform school was the perfect setting for creepy forboding shadow attacks, the Nephilim school is opening Luce’s eyes and showing her the truth.  I guess it represents the change in Luce’s knowledge of who she is.  Ya know she was in the dark and now she’s in the light yada yada.  Maybe I’m reading too much into it, which is most likely.  Truth be told I liked the creepy reform school.  It created a much more terrifying story and really added tension to the atmosphere.  I guess it served its purpose to the story and the author needed to move on to further continue the story. 
While I’m not the biggest fan of Daniel, (I know I ‘m highly prejudiced against destined love interests) I really grew to like Luce.  And that is definitely saying something, because I did NOT like Luce very much in Fallen.  It’s not like there was really anything wrong with her character, I just don’t think I could ever genuinely like someone who accepts supposed true love so easily.  I thought Luce was na├»ve and extremely black and white in her view of the world.  I am glad to say that I actually like Luce now.  She really grew in this book and her eyes have finally opened.  It’s probably the best example of character growth I’ve seen in a YA novel, at least in a long while.  Luce comes to see that those she thought were completely evil are anything but.  She realizes that people are whole shades of gray, not just black and white.  Those she thought were “good” and “evil” didn’t fit so well with her preconceived notions.  I about rejoiced.  She sees the light! Finally!   Luce’s quest to discover her past lives was also very intriguing.  I really enjoyed getting to see bits and pieces of her different past lives and truth be told it was all very mysterious.  It was very well done. 
So while I really grew to enjoy Luce and her character development, the author just had to kind of ruin things by introducing a freakin possible love triangle.  On top of that, instead of answering questions more just pile up!  Yes we get to learn more about the Shadows, but it just opened up a whole new can of worms!  A whole lot of questions better be answered in the final installment, though I don’t see how the author is going to resolve all these loose ends with the ending she gave us to Torment.  That one was a dozy to be sure.  I liked it, and yet I thought it was horrible at the same time.  I just really don’t know how I feel about it.  I guess I’ll have to see how it plays out in the final book to make my final judgment.  Maybe the author will surprise me.  I’m hoping so.  I really want to like these books but I’m just not sold on them.  Guess I’ll just have to wait and see.

 

1 comments:

Mflick1 said...

There's def. something about this book that I liked but there are moments when I wondered about why I was so into Fallen... I liked Fallen because it was the first "angel" book that I read. I agree about Luce finally taking off the blinders about Daniel... and though this isnt my favorite series when the next one comes out, I will be picking it up.