BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, January 10, 2011

Review: Jane



Synopsis: Forced to drop out of an esteemed East Coast college after the sudden death of her parents, Jane Moore takes a nanny job at Thornfield Park, the estate of Nico Rathburn, an iconic rock star on the brink of a huge comeback. Practical and independent, Jane reluctantly becomes entranced by her magnetic and brooding employer, and finds herself in the midst of a forbidden romance. But there's a mystery at Thornfield, and Jane's much-envied relationship with Nico is tested by a torturous secret from his past.  Part irresistible romance and part darkly engrossing mystery, this contemporary retelling of the beloved classic Jane Eyre promises to enchant a new generation of readers.

My Review: Normally I can’t stand retellings of classic literature, all the stupid zombie, seamonster, vampire, and cyeborg adaption’s of Jane Austin and the Bronte sisters.  Irritates the hell out of me.  I still haven’t had a chance to actually sit down and read the originals, but just the idea of having to add supernatural elements to a story just so young adults will read it is just disappointing.  I mean just read the original! On the other hand I can appreciate what these authors are trying to do.  It’s kind of like Glee.  I don’t watch Glee, partially because I don’t have TV, and well it just doesn’t appeal to me.  I may not like the show itself, and I can’t stand how they remake so many old songs.  Why do they need to do remakes?  Just listen to the originals!  Yet at the same time, they are introducing older music to the younger generation who would otherwise not appreciate what musical genius they are missing out on.  Such is the same for all these re-adaptions on classic lit.  Most teenagers these days will never read the originals so they’re exposing them to the same amazing stories with an added twist to make them more appealing to the younger generation.  I’m not biased enough to not appreciate on some level what they are trying to do.  If anything I’m even more appreciative after having read Jane.  

I tried reading Jane Eyre.  I really did try.  I was doing well too until I found out she fell for an old dude.  Honestly…it creeped me out.  I mean it is a huge age difference.  Not so uncommon in that time period, but for my modern mind it was a major creep out factor.  I just couldn’t continue knowing how it was going to turn out.  That was at least three years ago, and since then I’ve become more accepting.  One of my good friend’s older brother is married to a woman 10 years older than he is.  Uncommon, kind of weird, but they’re madly in love.  So the concept of falling for an older man isn’t so creepy to me anymore.   

Ten pages in I was absolutely hooked.  Jane is so reserved and quiet she just draws you right in.  You want to get to know her, to become her best friend.  She had a lonely and unloving childhood and you just wish her the best of luck in life.  She deserves to be happy and when she’s offered the job of being a nanny to the famous rock star Nico Rathburn she can hardly turn down the job she’s so desperate for money.  Forced to drop out of school because of her parents death and her inability to pay her tuition, becoming a nanny for a rock-star is her only option.  Jane isn’t at all impressed by Nico’s rock-star status.  If anything she’s terrified she’s going to be surrounded by drug parties and orgies.  She isn’t one to fawn over the rich and famous and just doesn’t care about celebrity life.  She quickly adapts to her new life at Thornfield Park and grows very attached to Nico’s young daughter.  It’s been months and she still hasn’t met her employer, until the day that he almost runs her over.  They’re meeting is definitely exciting to say the least.  Jane’s not intimidated in the slightest by NIco’s mood swings and broody demeanor.  She upfront and the most honest person Nico has ever met.  As their friendship evolves into something more, it is clear that they are kindred souls.   

I was rooting for the two of them since the beginning.  I actually surprised myself at just how much I wanted them to end up together.  They were just so perfect for each other, and they both found their missing halves within the other.  Jane doesn’t see herself as beautiful.  She was always being compared to her sister, and was told that she wasn’t pretty.  She thinks she’s plain and unattractive and convinces herself that a man like Nico could never care for her.  It’s so sad to think that all her life her own family never supported her or even cared for her.  To think that anyone else would seems like a fantasy to her.  For Nico, Jane is a fresh of breath air.  Always pursued by women who were after his money or his fame, Jane is real for him.  He knows that she will always speak her mind and she doesn’t care about the fame or the fortune.  He knows she loves him for him, and he loves her all the more for it.  They are truly meant for each other.  It’s just nice to know that you can find love in the most unexpected of places.   

Since I never finished the original I don’t know what the original secret was, but Nico’s definitely is dramatic.  The author expertly weaves the romance with a terrifying mystery.  I had not a clue as to what was going on.  I didn’t even have any guesses!  I was utterly stumped.  The way Jane just silently accepts every unusual happening in Thornfield Park just amazes me.  I would have been asking a billion questions and being super nosy.  When the big mystery is finally revealed I was shocked.  You won’t see it coming!  Well unless your more intuitive than me, which really wouldn’t be that hard.  I was really worried with the aftermath, but in the end everything comes together and I got my happy ending.   

To say I’ll have to finish Jane Eyre now is an understatement.  I absolutely loved Jane.  I was up till two in the morning just so I could finish it, I was that glued.  It’s a wonderful modern adaption of a classic love story.  A huge thanks to the author!  You’ve definitely got me wanting to read the original, and I have a new appreciation for the story, as I’m sure anyone who reads this will as well.  If you love the classics or the new adaption’s of them then you will definitely love Jane!

 

1 comments:

Alexa said...

Oh I have been wanting to pick up a copy of this, glad to hear it was a great book.
I have given you an award on my blog.