BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Review: The Iron Queen

Synopsis: My name is Meghan Chase.I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.
This time, there will be no turning back.

My Review: 
I’ve always been on the fence with these novels.  I couldn’t get past the cliché love story, plus the love triangle, and well Meghan just proved to be frustrating.  Well I am pleased to say that The Iron Queen has sold me on these books.  I am now officially a fangirl.  Meghan has truly matured throughout the course of these books, and the Iron Queen was the ultimate conclusion of her journey.  

The Iron Queen picks up right after Meghan and Ash have been exiled.  Ash has finally declared his love for Meghan, regardless of the consequences, and he’s willing to be with her even if it means he will never be able to go home again.  My major problem with Ash through the course of this series is how freakin hot and cold he is.  Passionate kiss!  You’re still my prisoner. You’re incredibly brave…for a human.  Just gah!  I just can’t stand romances where the guy cannot admit his feelings due to his sense of “duty” to his court.  *bashes all male characters like this over the head*  Screw the court!  Love trumps all!  Ya hear that Will Herondale?  Ya I’m yelling at you! Okay I’m done yelling at Cassie Clare’s characters for now.  I’ll save my major rants till then.  Back to the Iron Queen… so yes I like Ash now.  That ice prince exterior has finally thawed and we get to see the real him for the first time.  I thought Meghan was nuts for falling so hard for such an asshole, but she clearly was able to see through his icy exterior.  As much as I loved Ash’s new romantical side, his over protectiveness was bothersome.  Meghan got frustrated…I got frustrated…it’s a mutual thing all around.  I have to say though that boy is hard core dedicated.  He truly loves Meghan more than anything in the world, and he will give up everything to protect her.  While yes a bit cliché, it was sweet.  He definitely grew on me in this book, and I’m kinda glad that I don’t dislike him so much anymore.  It was rather tiring keeping that amount of loathsome energy going.  Maybe it’s all the hot chocolate I’ve been drinking (because it is freakin a snowy nightmare outside) but I feel incredibly sarcastic right now.  I’m blaming the hot chocolate…

Meghan, Meghan, Meghan.  Finally she pieces it all together!  Please tell me I wasn’t the only one who discovered her true destiny like 20 pages into the second book?  I wanted to smack some sense into her so many times!  Like really.  Is she totally clueless?  Ugh sorry.  Damn that hot chocolate!  Nada mas! Like I said earlier, Meghan has finally grown up.  Gone is the whiny teenager.  She’s finally taking control of her life and is becoming a truly inspiring young woman.  She learns how to protect herself, and while she can’t access her magic without becoming sick, she’s learning more about her world and what she has to do to protect it.  By the end of the novel, Meghan became one of my all time favorite heroines.  She’s willing to give up everything she cares for in order to put a stop to the False King, not because of her Father or Queen Mab; but because she knows it’s the only way the Nevernever will ever survive.  She’s the only one who can put a stop to the False King’s reign of terror, and she’s willing to make the greatest sacrifice of all.  

And of course my favorite all time characters make their appearances.  My adorable little Grim and Puck.  Gotta love those two.  They make these books in my opinion.  Grim is as mysterious as ever and of course his ever constant explanation of “I am a cat.” ^.^  I just want to cuddle him!  Though I think he’d probably claw my eyes out if I tried.  Still adorable though.  And of course Puck!  *cough* Meghan so should have picked him *cough* I know I said I liked Ash now, but man Puck was the way better choice.  He follows Meghan into exile, knowing that she’ll need his help.  He is the most loyal best friend you could ever want, and Meghan simply does not appreciate him like she should.  Then there are some new characters that I just adored.  Glitch and Razor are just epic.  Is it just me, but I totally think the Iron Fey are kick ass.  I like them a lot better than most other characters.  *weeps in remembrance of Iron Horse* I thought Glitch was amazingly cool, and I’m looking forward to more of him.  Well hopefully.  Don’t know how much of the Iron world is going to show up in The Iron Knight, but I’m hopeful.  Razor is like a mechanical Gizmo!  Gremlins are so darn cute!!!! Except they don’t go “Bright light! Bright light!” Razor is still adorable though.  XD 

Events are finally coming together.  Meghan learns of her dual powers, the False King is revealed, and Meghan must make a choice that will affect the entire Nevernever.  I have to admit I’m kind of surprised that I didn’t guess who the False King was sooner.  I feel totally dumb.  It was a total “Omg…duh!!!” moment for sure.  Kagawa truly does a brilliant job with the conclusion.  She has you at the edge of your seat from when they first enter in the battle with the False King.  I really didn’t know how it was going to turn out.  I was convinced that Meghan was going to die, then I turned around and went “She can’t die!” and gah it was emotionally exhausting.  To say that I bawled like a small child is a bit of an understatement.  Great wracking sobs were emitting from me.  Glad I had holed myself up in the spare bedroom of my Grandmothers house during Christmas so no one else could see my pathetic self.  My shirt sleeves were soaked, my mascara was running, I was just a mess.  I don’t think I have cried like that since Dobby died in HP.  Well actually I cry very easily because I’m a total baby, but ya get my point.  As random as this review was (glares at hot chocolate) I really did love this book.  It was a wonderfully crafted conclusion to this series, and it made me a firm fan.  If  you were on the fence about these books like I was, after reading the conclusion you will be just as in love as I am.  Amazing ending, but wait there’s more!  If you didn’t already know Kagawa plans to write another book through Ash’s POV entitled The Iron Knight.  Excited?  Hell to the ya!
 

1 comments:

Khadija said...

Yeah i figured out who she was in the first book...still i love this series. I'm addicted to fae and i actually kinda liked a lot of the overly cliche' elements of the love story...though i wasn't a fan of the triangle that was going on for a while -.- Great Review! I'm really exited to read this one, and so thrilled i got a review copy.

Glad the iron fey series has finally won you over ^-^