BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Review: Forgive My Fins

Synopsis: Lily Sanderson has a secret, and it’s not that she has a huge crush on gorgeous swimming god Brody Bennett, who makes her heart beat flipper-fast. Unrequited love is hard enough when you’re a normal teenage girl, but when you’re half human, half mermaid like Lily, there’s no such thing as a simple crush.

Lily’s mermaid identity is a secret that can’t get out, since she’s not just any mermaid – she’s a Thalassinian princess. When Lily found out three years ago that her mother was actually a human, she finally realized why she didn’t feel quite at home in Thalassinia, and she’s been living on land and going to Seaview high school ever since, hoping to find where she truly belongs. Sure, land has its problems – like her obnoxious, biker boy neighbor Quince Fletcher – but it has that one major perk – Brody. The problem is, mermaids aren’t really the casual dating type – when they “bond,” it’s for life.

When Lily’s attempt to win Brody’s love leads to a tsunami-sized case of mistaken identity, she is in for a tidal wave of relationship drama, and she finds out, quick as a tailfin flick, that happily-ever-after never sails quite as smoothly as you planned.


My Review: First of all a huge thanks to Andrea and Tera Lynn Child for this book!  I was so excited to win this book and devoured it in almost on sitting.  I was immediately drawn into Lily’s world.  What I really appreciated about this novel, was the fact that Tera didn’t waste time giving us a ton of background.  The synopsis sets us up for the story, and she really dives in.  (no pun intended) You’re immediately immersed in Lily’s world and her dilemma.  Brody, her crush for three years, thinks of her as only a friend and she’s desperate to win his love.  She thinks she wants to spend the rest of her life with him, and is determined to make her dream a reality.  That is until her insufferable neighbor Quince ruins her plans.  Quince tricks Lily into kissing him, and soon he is pulled into Lily’s world whether he likes it or not.  The kiss quickly starts to change him to prepare to be a merman, and Lily has no choice but to help him through the change so she can get herself untangled from this mess. 


I really enjoyed Lily’s character, well for the most part.  She was quick witted, fiercely loyal, and just a joy to read about.  She may be a princess, but she really is just a normal girl with tons of freckles and frizzy hair.  As much as I loved her, she still made me want to slap some sense into her.  Stubborn is the optimal word.  She refuses to look past first appearances, in Quince and Brody’s case, and she can’t see who each of them really is.  Brody is a swimming God, good looking, and well liked by everyone, yet she can’t see that all he cares about is himself.  Quince has been a constant pest since she first moved on land, yet he’s truthful with her and isn’t afraid to be himself.  Lily is so wrapped up in her own delusions she can’t see what’s right in front of her.  Maybe I’m just a sucker for the bad-boy biker types with a sense of wicked humor, but I just could not stand Brody.  I usually get really annoyed with MC’s who are wrapped up in their own romantical dream world, but I just couldn’t hold it against Lily.  While it was annoying, I forgave her for it.  That doesn’t happen often, I’m not one to dish out forgiveness easily.  In the end I got the ending I wanted, so I can’t really complain that much. 
Tera really painted a magical world in this book.  Someone says mermaid and you immediately think of the Little Mermaid or Splash.  She creates a unique underwater world, not so different from our own.  She didn’t make them gimmicky or cliché which I was very pleased with.  I really loved how she effortlessly combined architecture and natural elements together.  She creates a greatly detailed vision of Thalassinia that I would be more than happy to explore. 
While I enjoyed the fast paced plot, I couldn’t help but feel like it jumped around a little too much.  It just went from one thing to another so quickly it was hard to settle into the story.  Every time Lily thinks she’s going to finally get the bond broken she has to go through some other trial to prove that she and Quince aren’t suitable for each other.  I would have rather had just one trial, two at most, and then have the bulk of the novel having Lily come to realize her own feelings and mature a bit more.  While you kind of get that, it really is a bit too fast paced for my tastes. 
Despite my small reservations about the story (keyword small here) I still really adored this book.  You just don’t get mermaid stories.  Ever.  While Stephanie Meyer once expressed interest in writing a mermaid story (thank God she hasn’t or else they would have glowed or something else equally stupid) there really is no other undersea tales in the YA genre.  It was so refreshing having a supernatural element to a story that didn’t involve vampires, werewolves, or angels.  I got sucked into the story quickly, and I’ll admit I am totally hooked.  I’m eagerly waiting for the next installment (which I am on a book tour for *fist pump*) and can’t wait to find out what Lily’s cousin is up to.  *dramatic music here* Total cliff hanger.  I despise cliff hangers…
I feel like I jumped on the band wagon a little late with this book, so I’m sure a lot of y’all have already read it.  However if you haven’t and you’re looking for a refreshing story, then you’ll definitely find it in Forgive My Fins! 

 

2 comments:

Katie said...

I'm glad you liked it! I am so pumped for the next one too lol

Amelia said...

Lol, you're a better person than I am! I'm glad you mentioned Lily's stubbornness, but it totally ruined her character for me. She was so self-absorbed! (or at least, I thought so). But Quince was too cute. Loved him and definitely felt sorry for him. :D