BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, January 31, 2011

Review: Fallen Angel

Synopsis: Heaven-sent?
Ellie was never particularly good at talking to boys—or anyone other than her best friend and fellow outcast, Ruth. Then she met Michael.
Michael is handsome, charming, sweet. And totally into Ellie. It’s no wonder she is instantly drawn to him. But Michael has a secret. And he knows Ellie is hiding something, too. They’ve both discovered they have powers beyond their imagining. Powers that are otherworldly.
Ellie and Michael are determined to uncover what they are, and how they got this way . . . together. But the truth has repercussions neither could have imagined. Soon they find themselves center stage in an ancient conflict that threatens to destroy everything they love. And it is no longer clear whether Ellie and Michael will choose the same side.

My Review:  As I’m sure a lot of you are, I’m sick of angel related books.   It seems that is all that YA authors are churning out these days; if it’s not vampires or werewolves, that is.  So with that mentality in mind, I really don’t know why I requested to be added onto Fallen Angel.  I guess what intrigued me was that the MC and the love interest BOTH were undergoing changes.  That right there peaked my interest enough to make me want to read it.  I’m so sick of the one sided love affair with a supernatural being.  “I’m immortal, you’re human, but I love you!  Oh how tragic!” I swear if I read one more play off of Romeo and Juliet I’m going to forever move onto the M/M genre.  Yes there is a point to my rant.  What inspired this whole long winded rage, is because Fallen Angel didn’t have your cookie cutter plot love story.  I enjoyed it so thoroughly and so much more than any other supernatural book, that I realized how horrible the vast majority of the genre truly is; in the romance department at least.  I’m not denying that any of these books are not well written, the romance is just utter crap.     
  

What really won me over with Fallen Angel was that Ellie and Michael were equal in their relationship.  Ding, ding, ding!  We have a winner!  Ellie isn’t the poor human girl who falls for the hot immortal guy, and Michael isn’t the smuck who falls for an unearthly beauty that he can never have.  They both have mysterious powers, and they have each other for support.  I could probably praise the author to high heaven for this one small thing, but it made a world of difference. 

Both Ellie and Michael were enjoyable characters.  Because of their nature, they’re instantly attracted to each other, but it is NOT love at first sight!  The two spend a lot of time together before they even go on a date.  They learn each others likes and dislikes, they’re favorite candy, and they bond over the fact that they both love foreign films.  Whoa…wait a second.  What does this sound like?  Omg!  Reality?!  Actual real life scenario?! What is this doing in a paranormal romance?! Okay, okay, I’ll tone down on the sarcasm.  But seriously, do you understand why I get so frustrated?!  Ellie and Michael’s relationship is truly relatable, and that just made it more endearing.  Later on in the novel when Michael’s true intentions come into question (I can’t say anything!  It would ruin it!) Ellie isn’t blinded for her love for him.  She questions him and ultimately feels betrayed.  I just liked Ellie. She’s incredibly smart, vulnerable, and has a generous heart.  The one criticism I have of their relationship, is that while it wasn’t love at first sight, the length of the novel didn’t reflect their growing relationship.  A week passes in a sentence, and yet the reader is left to interpret Ellie’s growing feelings.  I just felt like I missed out on SO MUCH of their growing attraction.  If the book was longer, I feel like I would have liked it a lot more.  While reading it, it felt like more of a summarized story than an actual novel.  Just wish it was longer. 

Another thing that I thoroughly enjoyed about Fallen Angel was the ingenuity with the story.  Ellie can read peoples thoughts with just a touch, and her powers are even more potent if she tastes a person’s blood.  While I thought it was entertaining that she and Michael thought that they were vampires (which is dumb because the title clearly says Fallen Angel dur da dur) I don’t understand why that was even added.  It’s pointless because clearly the reader knows that they’re angels! If the author wanted any mystery behind what they truly were then the title should have been The Elect One or perhaps Watchers.  Anywho…there were other aspects that I really enjoyed as well.  Ellie and Michael don’t have wings!  They can fly, but there are no feathers to be seen.  I enjoyed these small divergences from typical angel lore.  While the author was innovative, I appreciated the somewhat classical take she took on Nephilim.  I’m not religious, you all know that.  I’ve never read the bible, but I loved the addition with the Book of Enoch!  Partially because these stories that “didn’t make it into the bible” just support my beliefs, but it brings to light stories that aren’t common knowledge.  Once again I don’t pretend to know what the hell I’m talking about, but as far as I know none of my friends who are Christian have read the book of Enoch.  I could be wrong, but I don’t believe its common reading material amongst the church.  I thought it was extremely cool, and I think it really added to the story.  

Overall I really enjoyed Fallen Angel.  It exceeded a lot of my expectations, but I wouldn’t say it’s something that you absolutely need to read because it’s so fantastic.  Good story, well written, and an excellent romance.  If you’re an angel fanatic then you’ll definitely enjoy this, and if you’re looking for a book with a decent romance then you’ve definitely found one. 

0 comments: