BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, January 21, 2011

Review: Babe in Boyland

Synopsis:When high school junior Natalie--or Dr. Aphrodite, as she calls herself when writing the relationship column for her school paper--is accused of knowing nothing about guys and giving girls bad relationship advice, she decides to investigate what guys really think and want. But the guys in her class won't give her straight or serious answers. The only solution? Disguising herself as a guy and spending a week at Underwood Academy, the private all-boy boarding school in town. There she learns a lot about guys and girls in ways she never expected--especially when she falls for her dreamy roommate, Emilio. How can she show him she likes him without blowing her cover?

My Review: Going into this book I knew right away that I was going to love it.  It’s definitely a She’s the Man type story, except Natalie is way funnier than Amanda Bynes.  While I admit the storyline has been used in a few movies, and the concept isn’t new I still thoroughly enjoyed this book.  

Natalie is her schools resident Dr. Love; at least Dr. Aphrodite, her fake persona for the school newspaper, is.  Natalie dishes out advice for girls seeking relationship help.  The only problem is that Natalie has never been in a relationship and as the boys at her school point out, she’s only telling the girls what they want to hear.  Realizing she is a total fraud, Natalie is determined to crack the vault on the inner workings of a guys mind.  She comes up with a crazy scheme to infiltrate the prestigious all boys private school in order to write the story of her life.  With the help of her friend’s hacker cousin, Natalie becomes Nat.  

Pretending to become a boy probably sounds pretty easy.  Wrong-o.  Easy in theory, very, very difficult in practice as Natalie comes to learn.  Becoming a guy is like trying to speak a whole other language.  Watching Natalie trying to act like a guy was simply laugh out loud hilarious.  I haven’t had a case of the giggles this bad in a very long while.  I devoured over half the book in just a few hours, and the whole time I was bursting into random laughter.  My mother was giving me a lot of weird looks and lots of exclamations of “WHAT are you laughing about?!” Pretty soon I had her laughing at Natalie’s antics too.  There were many awkward situations involving half naked teenage guys, basketballs in the crouch, and stuffing jeans with a tube sock.  Need I say more?  I loved every second of it.  

Natalie was an absolute hoot.  I absolutely adored her.  Her mannerism’s and thought process were so sarcastic and witty I couldn’t help but love her.  She’s so adorably awkward as a guy, yet she is fearless and determined in the pursuit of her goal.  While she’s a bit eccentric, (obviously, she pretends to be a guy in order to write a journalism piece) I still loved her character.  And Emilio?  Woo-wee!  Chico es muy caliente!  *fans self*  Someone just please tell me, where are all the hot Latino guys?!  The one I actually knew moved to NY for college and now I am Latino-less!  :( And guys at my school just don’t count so ya… Besides being a total hottie, Emilio is reserved and likes his privacy.  When he opens up to Nat it’s just so sweet to see him sharing his thoughts and feelings with her…even though he thinks she’s a guy.  I thought the two of them had great chemistry and I’m glad things worked out in the end.  And of course I can’t forget the adorable geek squad.  I loved Tyler, Earl, and Max.  The trio really showed Nat who your true friends are, no matter how unpopular they may be.  

Though the main part of this novel is comedic, Babe in Boyland offers a lot more than just pure entertainment.  It’s a story of self discovery and looking beyond first impressions.  Natalie really takes “walking in someone else’s shoes” to a whole new level, and as a result she gains a whole new perspective on life.  Hot guys aren’t all they seem to be, and the nerds are true friends.  Whether boy or girl, people are constantly trying to seem like someone they’re not.  Natalie learns the importance of just being herself and not trying to impress others.  While none of this is that astonishing in terms of social revelations, the story was still cute.  Babe in Boyland will have you cringing at every mishap, and then rolling on the floor with laughter.  A very enjoyable read that is just the thing if you’re in need of a good laugh.

4 comments:

ladystorm said...

The book sounds fun, but the cover..eeeahh..it scares me and gives me the hibbie jibbies I just can't stand to look at it so it has stopped me from picking it up to read.

Ky said...

Lmao! No way! I love the cover! I think it's adorable! XD

Kiwi.. said...

I find the cover quite cute! I like the sound of the book!This is sooo on my TBR list!!

I am you newest follower..and i have featured you in my Blog Post..

http://blogonlinerandom.blogspot.com/2011/01/rules-you-make-post-you-could-include.html

Blueicegal ♥ said...

Urghh every time I hear HOT Latino I just swoon. Looks like I have a weak spot *sigh*