BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Review: Through Her Eyes

Synopsis: Sixteen-year-old Tansy Piper moves with her grandfather and her mother, a horror writer, to the setting of her mother's next book--a secluded house outside of a tiny, desolate West Texas town. Lonely and upset over the move, Tansy escapes into her photography and the dark, seductive poems she finds hidden in the cellar, both of which lure her into the mind and world of a mysterious, troubled young man who died sixty years earlier.


My Review: I’m not normally the “ghost story” type.  Frankly because the chick ALWAYS falls for the ghost!  Okay well I’ve come across one book that is the exception to that rule, but you get my point.  Plainly put, the synopsis simply does not do this book justice.   I wasn’t expecting anything too great going into this book, but boy was I blown away.  It was soooo much more than I was expecting, and I will definitely be purchasing this when it is released. 
I adored Tansy.  Probably one of my favorite female MC’s in a long while.  She had sass, unique style, and loves her family more than anything.  Her relationship with her grandfather is truly beautiful and I only wish that I had that type of relationship with any of my grandparents.  I adored her little obsession with hats.  And well I’m jealous, because I look horrible in any hat that is not a baseball cap.  I connected with her very easily, maybe because we share that artistic perspective on things.  Tansy is very passionate about her photography.  She even uses a dark room, which in my opinion is the only way to go if you are a creative photographer.  She finds beauty even in the most every day things.   Tansy has always moved around because of her mother’s compulsion to bounce around so much.  As a result she’s never truly settled into any one place, and has never truly made a friend.  She’s terrified of getting hurt from any connection she makes with people and so she pushes them away.  I loved how Tansy truly transforms through the course of the story.  She lets herself open up to others and comes to make an amazing friend. 
The author is masterful in how she brings you to the edge of madness and then yanks you back to reality.  I went back and forth from being convinced Tansy was truly losing her mind, and that the ghost really did exist and wanted Tansy.  It was just plain amazing how intense and suspenseful this novel was.  Usually I’m pretty good at guessing the end of a book.  Not with this one!  I was convinced she was crazy, that she was being possessed, that she was for sure going to die, and well let’s just say that in the end I didn’t know what to expect.   You will be on the edge of your seat until its conclusion.  I couldn’t bear to put it down.  I only wish I could convey the amount of terror and utter amazement I felt while reading.  It is truly beyond words.  You’ll just have to read it to see what I mean.  The characters were rich and diverse and you will never see the end coming.  There was a surprise around every corner, and trust me, you won’t see anything coming. 
 

 

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I just ran across your review of THROUGH HER EYES. I'm so glad you enjoyed Tansy's story!

Ky said...

Absolutely loved it! One of my favorite reads in a long while. XD