BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Review: Sisters Red

Synopsis: Scarlet March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead. Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax and Scarlett's only friend--but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?

My Review: One of my favorite types of novels are those that take classical fairy tales and re-interpret them into a new profound story that leaves the reader breathless.  Sister’s Red was definitely a success in that regard.  I was immediately drawn into the story.  The re-telling of Little Red Riding Hood couldn’t be any more gripping, dangerous, and downright dark.  The dual perspective of both Scarlett and Rosie lets you see through both sisters eyes.  Scarlett is meant to hunt the wolves, it’s a part of who she is.  Her commitment to ridding the world of the Fenris defines who she is just as much as her scars.  In contrast, Rosie feels that she owes her sister her life and will never abandon her.  But her own heart is leading her down a road that would be the ultimate betrayal.  I thought both sisters were equally strong and I enjoyed reading both of their POV’s.  They certainly made one hell of a team while hunting down and killing the Fenris.  Talk about bad-ass.  Axe and knife wielding sisters in blood red cloaks?  Hell to the yeah!  Epic doesn’t even begin to describe the amount of total bad-ass-ness.  
 
Which leads me to the Fenris themselves.  I was SOOOOO thankful the author didn’t pull the “werewolves are just misunderstood individuals” bull crap.  Classically werewolves are monsters who cannot control their bloodlust and rage.  Authors now a days are so obsessed with taking a “misunderstood” mythical creature and casting them in a better light.  Whether it be werewolves, vampires, fallen angels, or fey it’s all the same these days.  That’s why I found it so refreshing in Sisters Red that the monsters were freaking MONSTERS.   They kill young girls and eat them.  Bam! No ulterior motives, no “vegetarian” werewolves, just plain freakin monsters in the most classical sense.  Thank. You.  Jackson. Pearce.  I also loved the fact that there was some hierarchy in Fenris society.  Different packs and Alpha’s and the whole concept of the Potential was rather fascinating.  Especially the Potential.  I won’t go into it too much, but the idea that not just anyone can become a werewolf was really cool.  There are very specific circumstances for a man to be turned, and yes I said man because women cannot become Fenris  because well…their dinner….and it was just really kind of brilliant.  I really appreciated the wonderful new ideas that Pearce brought to the table with werewolves.  He really brought out a new side to werewolves that the YA genre doesn’t see too much of. 
I really enjoyed the romantic aspect of this novel as well.  Rosie and Silas are just plain freakin adorable.  I was rooting for the two of them from the beginning.  And when the sparks finally flew it was just so sweet.  You all know how I like to rant on unrealistic romance in YA books.  I’ve found yet another successful love story that wasn’t cheesy, rushed, or unbelievable.  *does happy dance*  And oh my gosh!  The ending!  I was about in tears! Well I’m a huge cry baby so that’s no huge surprise, but the bawling was about to start.  I got my happy ending though.  (Thank goodness or I would have bawled like a baby)  I was terrified someone was gonna die, actually I was pretty certain SOMEONE was gonna die, but thankfully my instinct was wrong. 
I have only one negative thing to say about this book.  I predicted the plot twist almost immediately.  As soon as the Potential idea was introduced, I guessed it.  I mean it was glaringly obvious, and just becomes more so as the book goes on.  I just wish it would have been concealed better or that Pearce threw us off the trail a bit.  It just would have made this book even better.   To say the least, I totally adored this book.  I was glued to it constantly (even at work) and just couldn’t allow myself to put it down.   It was a truly wonderful and original read that everyone will adore. 

1 comments:

BookMarc Blogpants said...

You know, every so often I'll just be browsing through bloggers reviews of books and a book will grab my interest that I wouldn't normally think I would be interested in. This is one of those times. Gonna have to check this out. Cool review.