BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Review: Once in a Full Moon

Synopsis: Beware of a kiss under the full moon. It will change your life forever. Celeste Parker is used to hearing scary stories about werewolves—Legend's Run is famous for them. She's used to everything in the small town until Brandon Maddox moves to Legend's Run and Celeste finds herself immediately drawn to the handsome new student. But when, after an unnerving visit with a psychic, she encounters a pack of wolves and gorgeous, enigmatic Brandon, she must discover whether his transformation is more than legend or just a trick of the shadows in the moonlight. Her best friends may never forgive her if she gives up her perfect boyfriend, Nash, for Brandon, who's from the wrong side of town. But she can't deny her attraction or the strong pull he has on her. Brandon may be Celeste's hero, or he may be the most dangerous creature she could encounter in the woods of Legend's Run. Psychic predictions, generations-old secrets, a town divided, and the possibility of falling in love with a hot and heroic werewolf are the perfect formula for what happens . . . once in a full moon.

 My Review: Once in a Full Moon is definitely one of those novels that I can’t decide whether to like or not.  While I definitely liked the story, the writing…well let’s just say I was NOT impressed.  I was displeased to find out that there are going to be more books.  I can’t decide if it’s worth it to continue reading this series or not.  
 
When a novel starts out with “It all started…” it’s just not a good sign.  I should have taken the hint right then and there.  Alas, I continued.  I can’t even fully articulate how amateur this writing was.  It was choppy, with minimal descriptions, and the emotional content was nill.  For example, Celeste gets lost in a blizzard and attacked by wolves. Don’t worry she survives.  Yet when she returns home her parent’s reactions were just unbelievable.  I literally just can’t describe how bad it was.  It’s like the parents jumped from being concerned, incredulous, back to concerned, to admonishing her, and then back to being incredulous again.  I mean, uh huh?  Am I missing something here?  Since when are human emotions so flip floppy?  Especially parents?  And her friends were the same way!  Moments of intense emotion were just utter crap.  I literally think this is the most horribly written book I have ever come across.  I don’t mean to be harsh, just wow.  It was BAD.  I felt like a twelve year old wrote this. 
Okay I’m done bashing.  I just can’t understand how the writing could be soooo god awful yet I REALLY liked the story.  Bit of a conundrum is it not?  The romance was really good!  I adored Brandon and Celeste.  And hey guess what?!  Another story without instant love!  Their feelings for each other developed slowly, and they genuinely care for each other.  Brandon is just an all around wonderful guy, and I liked Celeste most of the time; even though she had the backbone of a jellyfish.  *rolls eyes* Celeste stays with Brandon no matter what, and that’s something I really admire.  They’re both experiencing something new and profound in the paranormal area yet they both don’t let it affect their feelings for each other.  It was just really sweet.  If anything the author has a talent for writing teenage romance. 
Another aspect of the book I loved was the original take on werewolves.  I mean it’s an actual WEREWOLF.  Not a shapeshifter!  A werewolf!  Half man, half wolf!  Don’t you just miss the days of American Werewolf in London?  I felt like I was transported to a time in paranormal literature without gimmicks.  It was a wonderful feeling.  I really liked that Brandon still could talk and was relatively human, aside from the extra hair and pointy teeth.  Werewolves weren’t “bad” or blood thirsty creatures.  And it wasn’t just full moons that triggered the change.  A waning or waxing moon that still looks full also triggers the change.  It’s funny how the werewolves in this book, and the werewolves in Sisters Red could be polar opposites and yet I enjoyed both versions. 
So in summary?  Loved the story, hated the writing.  The positive and the negative just cancel each other out, leaving me with no firm reason to continue reading these books.  Oh and the highschool drama crap going on?  I am sorry, but those cliché groups of cliques DO NOT EXIST! Trust me, I’m living it!  Celeste’s friends were the bitchiest most stuck up fictional characters I have ever come across.  Another strike… So will I continue reading these?  The next one I might read out of curiosity for the story.  Might.  Would I recommend it?  That would be a firm no.  Unless you like the authors other series, Vampire Kisses, I would definitely not suggest you read this.  Maybe I’m a literary snob, but hey tis my honest opinion.  It sucks that the writing was so bad, because I really did enjoy the story.  Such a shame. 

 

3 comments:

Alexa said...

I have read some of her Vampire Kisses series and it was just at the point where I felt it was too young for me. Plus nothing interesting ever happened, after 5 books of that series I gave up so I really don't think I'll even bother to read this new series. Thanks for the warning though.

Khadija said...

Great review Kai! I've read the entire Vampire Kisses series so far (there so funny!) so when i heard Screiber was writing a wolf-book i was intrigued.

Blueicegal ♥ said...

Lmfaooo!!! this is why i love you girl, completely honest, i read the first book of the vampire kisses even then i felt way to old for it, but hey her covers are always pretty right ;p