BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, December 31, 2010

Review: Nevermore

Synopsis: And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting

On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;

And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming,

And the lamp-light o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;

And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
Shall be lifted - nevermore!

Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look. Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.
As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.
His life depends on it.


 
My Review: This book was simply fantastic.  Beyond fantastic really, it was utterly amazing.  I forewarn you, you’ll be reading a lot of adjectives such as amazing, awesome, epic, and unbelievable.  If you couldn’t already tell I am utterly in love with this book .  I passed up buying it while I was in a bookstore because I had it from a book tour.  Boy do I regret that. 
The synopsis gives off the impression that it’s the unlikely love story between the popular cheerleader and the goth guy.  The girl stops being a stuck up bitch and sees what a wonderful person the goth guy is blah blah blah.  Don’t be fooled!  It is so much more than that!   While Isobel does kind of start off as the snobby popular girl, she is not mean.  Her friends on the otherhand are a different story.  For Isobel being paired up with Varen is bad enough, but it gets worse when her possessive boyfriend gets word of it.  There is really no other way to describe him.  He is extremely territorial and stoops to beating on Varen because he’s paired with Isobel.   Isobel doesn’t take any of that crap though.  She thinks his behavior is despicable and lets him know it.  Of course all her friends don’t understand why she’s getting on her boyfriend about it, stuck up snobs that they are.  Her friends are truly sickening, and when they finally push it too far with Varen, Isobel lets them have it.  I really admired her for that.  It’s not easy to stand up to your own friends when you know they are behaving poorly.  And well she slapped her boyfriend and ended that relationship.  That was just awesome.  Isobel isn’t petty and she stood by Varen because it was the right thing to do, even though she pretty much ended all of her friendships in the process.  She’s an amazing individual who sticks with her convictions despite what others think and I really admire that. 
And I’m not forgetting Varen.  Maybe I’m just a sucker for misunderstood poetry types who wear a lot of black and have a lip ring…yep that’s definitely it.  Varen in one word…intense.  While we don’t really get to see his perspective on many things I really loved his character.  It’s the way that Isobel comes to see him that is truly inspiring.  Like many people, Varen uses the whole Goth thing to hide away the things in his life that he can’t stand to face.  When he lets Isobel in, it’s so sweet.  Yes I’m a gushy romantic at heart, shhh, don’t tell anyone.   I won’t gush too much, cuz you’ll understand why he’s so amazing when you read it. 
The author is a pure genius.  No, no, really.  I’m a huge fan of Edy Poe and I’ve read the vast majority of his stories and some of his poems so it was really easy for me to get sucked into the story.  The way she weaved the spine tingling tales of Poe into the story was truly masterful.  The lines of reality and fiction begin to blur and Isobel gets caught in the crosshairs.  She soon realizes that these forces are after Varen and they won’t give him up without a fight, and Isobel is the only one who can fight back. 
I went into this book thinking that this was it.  So I was expecting a conclusion.  The ending shocked me so flippin badly and caused me such extreme emotional distress that I was about bawling after I finished.  I truly thought that it was the end and I wasn’t getting any more.  Devastated is an apt description.   I calmed down when someone confirmed a sequel.   It was just such an unexpected ending.  Of course I should have expected a tragic ending, it’s Poe inspired after all.  The epilogue was the single most heart wrenching ending ever.  It is truly beyond words how touching it was.  You will cry, I will tell you that right now.  As you can probably tell after reading this, this is my new favorite book.  Amazing doesn’t even begin to describe this.  Future books will be just as mind blowing and I cannot wait to find out what happens next.  I really don’t know what to expect, but I am definitely willing to wait to find out. Albeit a little impatiently, but it will be well worth it. 



 

0 comments: