BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Review: Her Me and You

Synopsis: First love, broken friendships, and heartache all play a part in this evocative, voice-driven novel about Alex, a girl whose world is ripped apart when her father’s affair splits her family in two. Alex moves with her mess of a mother to a new town, where she is befriended by hot, enigmatic Fred—and alternately flirted with and cold-shouldered by Fred’s twin sister, Adina. Others warn Alex to steer clear of the twins, whose sibling relationship is considered abnormal at best, but there’s just something about Fred—and something about Adina—that draws Alex to them and makes her want to be part of their crazy world…no matter the consequences.

My Review: When I read the synopsis of this book I really wasn’t all that intrigued, but I figured I would give it a shot.  Turned out I have better instincts than I give myself credit for.  What drove me absolutely crazy with this book was that it had no relevance.  Nothing.  Nada.  The pages could have been full of drawings to color in and it would have more content than the story.  Okay maybe that was a bit harsh.  I may be exaggerating just a tad.  I just can’t even begin to express my frustration with this book.  It had all the potential in the world to be a pretty decent read.  Sometimes potential is just not enough. 

While I am all for unique writing style, I have to say I did not enjoy reading this.  It was choppy and about 90% of it was dialogue.  Dialogue is all well and good, but even the dialogue didn’t hold much in the way of interest.  It was short, choppy, and really rather uninteresting.  There was no descriptors to accompany the dialogue either.  Maybe on a rare occasion…maybe.  For instance instead of ‘“I do not have a crush on Fred,” I replied indignantly, feeling my cheeks turn red,’ it was “I don’t have a crush on Fred.” The End.  With almost every single set of dialogue!  It was so vague that I had trouble picturing anyone or scenery.  I’m a creative person but even I had trouble filling in all the blanks.  Frustrating to say  the least. 
As for the plot…. What plot?  The most exciting portion of the whole book was when someone got in a car accident and I could honestly say I did not care one bit. It was just a whole bunch of teenage angst.  And I HATE teenage angst!  .  There was no conflict, no tension, barely even a romance. This is largely due to the writing style.  There were things that happened that would cause conflict and tension, but the writing was just so bare boned that it all fell flat.  The main character’s father cheated on her mother.  She hates and loves him, yet I didn’t catch a whiff of any emotion.  I didn’t feel what she felt, I didn’t even wonder because I just didn’t care.  It is truly rare when I could not give a rats ass about what happened in the story.  I’m not hard to please when it comes to books, so when I say I really didn’t enjoy this you will understand just how blah it was.  And truly that’s what it was.  It wasn’t bad.  It wasn’t offensive and there wasn’t anything in the characters or story that made me hate it.  It was just lacking in everything.  The story was non-existent, the characters uninteresting, and the writing was bland.  Just plain blah. 
Another thing that was bothersome was the fact that I got through the whole entire book and was just left with more questions.  The ending was so abrupt and just so weird I literally flipped the page and flipped back to make sure I hadn’t skipped one.  Adina’s weird obsession with her brother, why she was anorexic, why their father was always AWOL, and just what the heck was going through Adina’s mind was all not answered.  Nada! I just got the vague impression of “Well that’s F-ed up” and moved on.  That was what really irritated me about this novel.  The lack of answers.  Just utterly frustrating. 
Since I don’t have one single positive thing to say about this novel I won’t drag this out much longer.  Did I hate it?  No, I just couldn’t find one single thing that I liked about this novel.  It was just so bare.  As my Spanish teacher would say “Beef it up!”  The story and everything in general just needed MORE!  At least it was short and didn’t take me long to read.  I don’t feel like I wasted a significant amount of time reading it.  So ya.  First ever entirely negative review.  Shocker.  I didn’t think I had it in me. 

 

0 comments: