BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Review: Freefall

Synopsis: How do you come back from the point of no return?  Seth McCoy was the last person to see his best friend Isaac alive, and the first to find him dead. It was just another night, just another party, just another time where Isaac drank too much and passed out on the lawn. Only this time, Isaac didn’t wake up.
Convinced that his own actions led to his friend’s death, Seth is torn between turning his life around . . . or losing himself completely. Then he meets Rosetta: so beautiful and so different from everything and everyone he's ever known. But Rosetta has secrets of her own, and Seth will soon realize he isn’t the only one who needs saving . . .


My Review: I just have to start off by saying that I really, really, REALLY liked this book.  Seth is by far one of the best male protagonist’s that I’ve read about in a very long while.  He definitely made me love the book.  Now only if he was real… Lol. 

At the start of Freefall I was a bit confused on the timeline.  I didn’t realize that Isaac’s death had already happened until I was a good 7 pages in.  I liked the fact that the reader was kept in the dark about the circumstances of Isaac’s death for a good portion of the novel.  It added to the suspense and as more about Isaac’s death is revealed, the reader understands more and more about Seth.  So it served two purposes in the end.   When we’re first introduced to Seth it’s clear that he’s a big party go-er.  He’s a heavy drinker and doesn’t really care.  The only thing he cares about is making himself forget.  Drinking is a way for Seth to shut out memories he doesn’t want, a guilty conscience that haunts him, and the constant reminder that his friend is dead. 
Seth has screwed around his entire highschool career thus far, and his counselor finally bullies him into making sure he’s able to graduate with the rest of his class.  Which means extra period in the morning, and an extra period in the afternoon.  Seth isn’t thrilled to say the least, but he sticks with it.  Despite his bad habits he’s willing to make a change.  When he meets a girl in his extra afternoon class that really gets on him for drinking so much it kind of grates him.  Her reaction really bothers him, and he feels rather ashamed of his behavior.  He stops drinking, not just to try and impress her but because he knows that he can be better than that.  It’s one of the things that I really loved about Seth.  Yes he’s made mistakes, but he recognizes that he didn’t make the best choices.  He takes it upon himself to change and doesn’t expect a pity party or sympathy from others.  It’s why I adored his character so much.  You don’t often get characters who realize their own mistakes.  Seth was very refreshing and I could just rave about his epicness all day long. 
Throughout the novel, Seth’s character really grows.  He makes better and better choices not only concerning himself, but others.  He really begins to care for Rosetta and not in a “I want to get in her pants” way either.  He cares what she thinks and her opinion and goes out of his way to make her happy.  He’s always truthful with her as well.  Even if it’s not so flattering for himself, he never withholds anything.  It’s another reason why I loved him so much.  He always tried to be honest, no matter what. 
With all my raving about Seth you’re probably wondering is there anything else commendable about this book?  Well of course!  You know I’m not THAT easily won over.  While the plot wasn’t anything special it was still nicely done.  The whole point of the novel is to show how people can change, and it definitely accomplished that.  It was a heartfelt story and I really grew attached to all of the characters, especially Seth…not like you couldn’t tell.  Just awesome!  That’s pretty much all I have to say on the matter.  I can’t think of one negative thing about this novel.  I’m pretty sure I will be purchasing this book as soon as it’s in print.  Loved it!

 

1 comments:

Medeia Sharif said...

I finished this a few weeks ago. I really really really liked it, too.