BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, October 25, 2010

Review: Tyger, Tyger

Synopsis: Teagan Wylltson's best friend, Abby, dreams that horrifying creatures--goblins, shape-shifters, and beings of unearthly beauty but terrible cruelty--are hunting Teagan. Abby is always coming up with crazy stuff, though, so Teagan isn't worried. Her life isn't in danger. In fact, it's perfect. She's on track for a college scholarship. She has a great job. She's focused on school, work, and her future. No boys, no heartaches, no problems. Until Finn Mac Cumhaill arrives. Finn's a bit on the unearthly beautiful side himself. He has a killer accent and a knee-weakening smile. And either he's crazy or he's been haunting Abby's dreams, because he's talking about goblins, too . . . and about being The Mac Cumhaill, born to fight all goblin-kind. Finn knows a thing or two about fighting. Which is a very good thing, because this time, Abby's right. The goblins are coming.

My Review: You all know that I am a faerie fanatic.  I’m totally gaga about anything fae.  It is one of my crazy obsessions.  I freely admit it.  A bit childish?  Absolutely not!  I love the darkness in most fae related novels, and Tyger, Tyger was no exception.  Tyger, Tyger was a very fresh take on the fae world, which if you think about it is sooooo difficult to do.  There are just so many outrageously popular fae books out there, especially in the YA world, that it is truly an amazing feat to have an original story.  

First and foremost on the originality scale was the fact that the fae were called goblins.  There was still the Sidhe, but goblins was definitely a derogatory term used to describe most of the fae.  And if you know anything about goblins, then you know there are very few good connotations associated with them.   These beasties are nasty in the worst way.  Yet with all “dark” casts there is always a bit of light that peaks through the stereotype.  There is light and dark to everyone and goblins are no exception, despite what a few of the characters may think. 
I really enjoyed Teagan’s character.  And well her name is Teagan, which is probably one of my all time favorite names.  So that might have influenced my love for her just a smidgen.   She works at a veterinary clinic at the zoo and works with apes (chimps?  I don’t remember which) and she speaks fluent sign language.  How epic is that?  Exactly!  Her family I also adored.  Her mother and father just have to be the coolest parents in the history of YA fiction and her little brother is adorable.  I mean who knew Elvis impersonators could be that terrifying to a child?  I sure didn’t, but it was hysterical.  Teagan, while just being a typical success driven girl, has to deal with some horrible times.  She is strong and determined and completely stubborn which I love in all female MC’s.  Yet she is smart enough to know when to call it quits.  She truly has to make some gut wrenching decisions that she regrets.  Do I think any less of her for them?  Absolutely not.  If I was thrown into the same life or death situation I would have done whatever I needed to do to survive and keep my loved ones safe.  She throws someone else under the wagon, but it just shows what a wonderful and truly good individual she is by the fact that she despises herself for what she did.  Which reminds me of another aspect of the story I loved. 
Finn; blonde, kind of rough around the edges, funny, and oh ya an Irish accent.  Can you say HOTTIE?! Maybe I am just weak and fall for any guy who has an Irish accent, but you have to admit Irish accent vs no accent?  Irish accent totally wins.  Any sane woman will say the same.  In addition to the hot accent, Finn is a pretty awesome guy.  While he has been living on the streets for the past five years, he truly is an honorable guy.  He stands up for the little guy and always puts others before himself.  I really enjoyed his character.  Plus he’s the perfect combination of gentleman and rogue.  He gives me hope that I will one day find my own Irish hottie. 
Another aspect of the novel I totally loved, was the rich back story.  I have no idea how much is true Irish legend, but it was masterfully done.  Since the author is a history nut like myself, I’m assuming 98% of it was accurate.  It really impressed me.  I’ve read other traditional fae lore and I’ve never come across this particular version.  Very interesting to say the least.  I loved every minute of it.  Obviously I loved this story.  What really tipped the balance into the adored category for me was the romance aspect.  You know how much I abhor romance that takes ten pages to develop.  What I hate even more is love at first sight.  While there was a bit of instant infatuation, it wasn’t cliché! They meet and then it is months before they see each other again.  Plus throughout the entire book they did not kiss once.  Which drove me nuts, but at the same time I really appreciated it.  Their attraction is much more than physical.  It was wonderfully done and I really appreciated the effort to actually have a realistic romance. 
All in all, I think it’s clear I adored this book.  If anyone loves fae stories like myself you will adore it!

 

3 comments:

brandileigh2003 said...

I enjoyed this one! Thanks for the reveiw!

Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Tiffany said...

I loved this book, too. Finn is amazing! Can't wait for the next one.

Amelia said...

Hey Ky! So glad you liked it!! I just got this in the mail yesterday :P