BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Review: Hunger

Synopsis: “Thou art the Black Rider. Go thee out unto the world.” Lisabeth Lewis has a black steed, a set of scales, and a new job: she’s been appointed Famine. How will an anorexic seventeen-year-old girl from the suburbs fare as one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse? Traveling the world on her steed gives Lisa freedom from her troubles at home: her constant battle with hunger, and her struggle to hide it from the people who care about her. But being Famine forces her to go places where hunger is a painful part of everyday life, and to face the horrifying effects of her phenomenal power. Can Lisa find a way to harness that power — and the courage to battle her own inner demons? 

My Review:
When I first came across this book online I about drooled with desire.  Four Horseman of the Apocalypse?  Woot!  I blame Good Omens for my obsession.  Haha.  The Four Horseman hold some sort of weird fascination for me.  Are they truly just tools for the end of the world, or is there more to them than that?  Hunger certainly set out to explore this idea, as well as incorporates a more serious theme as well. 
Lisabeth is more concerned with her own eating habits, or rather lack thereof, than the worlds bought with hunger.    Constantly plagued by her “Thin” voice, Lisabeth only sees herself as fat and ugly.  Convinced that she will only be truly happy if she is thin, Lisabeth’s life begins to deteriorate.   She cannot look in the mirror and see one thing that she likes.  Her problems only continue when Death shows up on her front step and announces that she is the new Famine.  Outfitted with a set of shiny scales and a loyal horse, Lisabeth sets out upon the world.  
I have to say, the beginning kind of took me by surprise.  I was expecting a little back story at least, but the author certainly just throws you in.  I didn’t mind it all that much, just took a bit to find my bearings.  While I couldn’t relate to Lisabeth at all, I still enjoyed her character.  Lisa is hugely insecure, something all young girls can relate to.  As Lisabeth explores her new role as Famine and begins to discover her own power, she truly changes.  She begins to care about others outside of her own small world.  Initially she thinks that being a Horseman is all about the doom and gloom.  After an encounter with Pestilence, Lisa discovers that her true power lies in creating a balance.  Her newfound desire to help others by filtering people’s needs through herself gives Lisabeth something to live for.    She is able to shut out the Thin voice, and is solely focused on helping others.  Lisa truly becomes strong and a great person to admire.  By the end of the book, Lisa is finally able to admit to herself that she needs help. More importantly, she asks for it.  Asking for help seems simple, but it is not always as easy as it might seem. 
I greatly enjoyed the story, and the important lessons it held.   I have to just say really fast…. I loved Death!  I really liked how Jackie made the Horseman personified just regular people.  People who are at a critical time in their life, and can realize their inner strength through being a Horseman.  I look forward to further books about the Horseman of the Apocalypse.  I’m assuming War is next!  That shall definitely be interesting.  XD  Isn’t it interesting that War is always a woman?  That just speaks volumes for the female populous.  That’s right boys, you better watch out.  Hell hath no fury as a woman- well… you fill in the blank.  Overall, a great book with a highly original story and an expertly woven tale of a young girl’s struggle with anorexia. 

0 comments: