BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, October 29, 2010

Review: Halo

Synopsis: Nothing much happens in the sleepy town of Venus Cove. But everything changes when three angels are sent from heaven to protect the town against the gathering forces of darkness: Gabriel, the warrior; Ivy, the healer; and Bethany, a teenage girl who is the least experienced of the trio. They work hard to conceal their true identity and, most of all, their wings. But the mission is threatened when the youngest angel, Bethany, is sent to high school and falls in love with the handsome school captain, Xavier Woods. Will she defy the laws of Heaven by loving him? Things come to a head when the angels realize they are not the only supernatural power in Venus Cove. There′s a new kid in town and he′s charming, seductive and deadly. Worst of all, he′s after Beth.

My Review: I was really excited to read Halo.  The amazing cover art, all the angel hype lately, I admit it I let the fangirl trends rule my judgment.  I don’t know why I thought it was going to be so amazing.  Well actually I do.  It was the cover art.  It was drool worthy. So to say the least I had high expectations for it.  Honestly I wasn’t all that impressed.  I will say right away though that this book will be VERY differently viewed by many people.  Plain and simple, it has a lot of religious content.  Some people will really like it because of it, and others will be put off by it.  And yes I am atheist, but all the religion didn’t bother me in the slightest.  I just read it as a complete work of fiction.  The author took a lot of risk by intertwining so much religious doctrine in a YA novel.  Teens are impressionable or they are totally set in stone because of their parent’s religious affiliations.  Halo could wind up offending many people.  I don’t know, we’ll just see what happens.  Maybe I’m worrying over nothing.  Books that deal with religion in a positive manner hardly ever get burned, so it’s probably nothing.  Anyway moving on. 

First and foremost, Halo is a love story.  That was the prime focus, and it was the best aspect of the novel.  Bethany is so innocent to the ways of teenagers.  She’s just trying to blend in and learn as much about teenagers as possible.   The last thing she expects to happen is to succumb to human love.  Angels love humankind in a detached almost pitying way.  Bethany is different from her brother and sister in this regard.  She empathizes with humans very easily.  She has the human capacity for love.  Xavier is the dream guy.  Good looking, smart, great at sports, and school captain.  All without a hint of an ego.  A little too perfect in my mind, but he is a great match for Bethany.  Both Bethany and Xavier are instantly drawn to each other, and as they let their feelings guide them it becomes clear that they are cut from the same cloth.  I thought that their relationship developed very nicely.  It wasn’t instant love (gracias Dio! I would have puked) It has the very real feel of first crush turned into first love.  It was wonderfully done.  I really applaud the author.  It felt real.  I think this is due to the fact that the author is so young, so she connects better with her audience.  So bravo! I don’t often applaud teenage romance in novels. 
When I said that it was the best aspect of the novel, I wasn’t exaggerating.  While Halo was beautifully written and had an amazing love story, I felt that the Angel’s mission was sooooo lame.  I mean Agents of Darkness?  Lame-o.  It felt like they were on Teen Titans or something. Yet at the same time the villains on Teen Titans were more threatening than these “Agents of Darkness”.  I didn’t get evil vibes at all.  I didn’t feel threatened or even a bit worried about them. There was no tension or terror associated with them.  The whole conflict with the new kid (who is really an AoD) just struck me as poorly planned and it really just fell flat.  And his motivation for going after Bethany?  Puh-lease.  Evildoers don’t try to kill someone because they got rejected.  I mean COME ON! I think a Demon has better things to do with his time.  A jab to his pride is not going to set him off.  He probably likes people getting pissed at him.  Made no sense, and it just felt like lame television drama.  I’m sure I’m not the only one that feels this way, but I just had to put it out there.  Kind of ruined the book for me in the scheme of things. 
Beautifully written and an amazing love story, but the tension just totally flopped.  Hopefully events will get a little more grave and there will be more dire situations in the next one. Legit dire situations.  If you are a sucker for romance then you’ll love it.  I really enjoyed it, yet at the same time I kind of expected better.  I have hope for the next one though.  Overall a pretty decent book.  : )

 

1 comments:

Blueicegal ♥ said...

lmfo!!!! teen titans, you aint alone, had high expectations, didn't meet them at all, very disappointing although it was written well, shame.