BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Review: Blood Law

Synopsis: To stop a vampire killer, she’ll have to slay her own demons first. A provocative and savvy vampire, Alexandra Sabian moves to the sleepy hamlet of Jefferson, Mississippi—population 6,000, half vampires—to escape the demons lurking in her past. As an enforcer for the Federal Bureau of Preternatural Investigations (FBPI), Alex must maintain the uneasy peace between her kind and humans, including Jefferson’s bigoted sheriff, who’d be happy to see all vampires banished from town. Then really dead vamps start turning up—beheaded, crucified, and defanged, the same gruesome manner in which Alex’s father was murdered decades ago. For Alex, the professional has become way too personal. Things get even more complicated when the FBPI sends in some unnervingly sexy backup: Alex’s onetime mentor, lover, and fiancé, Varik Baudelaire. Still stinging from the betrayal that ended their short-lived engagement, Alex is determined not to give in to the temptation that soon threatens to short-circuit her investigation. But as the vamp body count grows and the public panic level rises, Varik may be Alex’s only hope to stop a relentless killer who’s got his own score to settle and his own bloody past to put right.

My Review: Hmm, what to say, what to say.  I think I always enjoy these type of stories on a basic level.  They're nice books to read when you have all day to waste and you want some decent supernatural/crime/sex entertainment.  Are any of them truly that awe inspiring or highly original?  Not so much.  There are just so many books out there in the Adult Supernatural world and yet they all seem the same.  Smart, savvy, sexy female heroine-check! Government agent of some sort-check! Psycho serial killer-check! Psycho killers motive somehow relating back to the smart, savvy, sexy female heroine-check!  Smart, savvy, sexy female heroine being torn between her heart and her head-check! And last but not least...the incredibly hot, absolutely perfect, with a bad boy streak with a dark past, sexy beyond belief love interest-check!  Oh and did I mention the incredibly long hair?  Do you see what I mean?  I haven't read all that much Adult Paranormal novels, but the few that I have tend to stick to that basic storyline.  Plus can someone PLEASE tell me why older women find guys with outrageously long hair (usually longer than the female characters) so overwhelmingly attractive?!  I. DO. NOT. UNDERSTAND! Please, just please, someone!  Explain this to me! I just can't comprehend!  

Okay... rant and heavy sarcasm is over now.  Besides the cookie cutter plotline, I still found this story enjoyable.  I liked the fact that the author really stressed the fact that vampires and humans were two different species living side by side.  Ya, ya, somewhat evident right?  But for some reason I always think of vampires as humans with a nasty parasitic disease that like to munch on normal people for a good midnight snack.  She really stressed the fact that they were two separate species and were not in the slightest bit human, no matter what the physical similarities.  As far as I inferred, humans can't be "turned" either.  Vampires are born, not made.  (I think! Don't quote me! That's the gist of what I gathered while reading) I really kind of liked this more separatist take on vampires.  Fangs grow in at puberty and if pulled, they don't grow back.  De-fanging is akin to losing a limb.  I just really kind of enjoyed the slight spin the author put on it.  Not quite the same old vampire novel.  It had just enough originality to keep me interested.  

As far as Alex went, I have rather mixed feelings on her.  While I found her character, for the most part, enjoyable, there were still a few things that kind of bugged me.  I liked her personality and her casual attitude.  She seemed like a pretty laid back and likeable person.  Did she seem like a Bureau worker?  Eh... so so.  I don't know, she just didn't really strike me as the cop type.  I think it was because of her volitile emotions that kind of put me off.  It's just hard for me to think of her having any type of authority.  I don't know, I'm probably the only one that thinks this, but meh.  Her reaction and emotions toward Varik?  They were completely uncalled for.  Ya the horrible incident in their past that caused them to break up was pretty out of line.  Did he do it on purpose?  No. Was it bad judgement on his part?  Yes.  Yet once again, he didn't do it on purpose.  I would have forgiven the  poor guy.  He obviously felt horrible about it, and yet Alex still took off like a bat out of hell (there was no pun intended there).  I just felt that for what happened, he didn't deserve the violent reaction from Alex that he got.  

I actually ended up really liking Varik.  Aside from that cursed long hair (shakes head) he was a very nice guy.  I have no trouble what so ever thinking of him as a high up Bureau agent.  He just radiates bad ass government guy.  He just has this aura of authority about him, and a don't mess with me attitude.  Plus he is an incredibly decent guy.  He never once pushed Alex, and let her leave.  He never contacted her, never forced himself onto her, and was the perfect gentleman.  He wouldn't even have come to help with Alex's investigation if he wasn't on orders.  He respects Alex's wishes and does everything he can in order to help her solve her case.  And despite everything that has happened, and the fact that Alex left him, he still loves her.  I just really liked his character.  

Okay,  so a slight mini rant again.  Don't you just hate it when the author switches into the killers POV?  I HATE that!  What is the point of having a crime mystery when you know what the killer is thinking and his motive?!  Where is the drama in that?! Gah!  Drives me nuts!  It's no fun reading about the heroine trying to figure out what the heck is going on when you already know.  Do you see what I mean?  I wish authors wouldn't do that.  Totally ruins it for me.  :/  I mean I guess I can see where authors are trying to come from.  That whole "insight into a twisted mind" type deal.  Well it's not insightful! It just proves that there are some sick people in this world who have the most twisted reasoning ever.  We don't need to know what the killer is thinking to understand that he's nuts.  Plus villains are always way scarrier when they have that element of mystery about them.  Let's see what's scarrier.  The killer who tells you exactly why he's going to submit you to a twisted horrible death, or the killer who just lets you wonder and then has fun with you just to see you squirm?  Exactly.  

Okay for real now, ranting done.  While the plot did give me some pleasant surprises, it wasn't really all that wonderful.  Will I continue reading this series?  Maybe?  Sometime... in the future.  Uhm... ya.  If you love this genre, then I guarantee you'll love this book.  But if you're like me and generally dislike cookie cutter plots I would stay away.  Not bad by any means, just not anything truly gripping or new.  

BTW, this was The Traveling Book Gnomes latest pick.  Sorry I have no pics to accompany my review.  I was very happy to recieve Cedric as well!  I just wish I got to keep him longer!  :( Until next time my dear gnome!  
 

0 comments: