BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Review: Hold Me Closer, Necromancer

Synopsis: Sam leads a pretty normal life. He may not have the most exciting job in the world, but he’s doing all right until a fast food prank brings him to the attention of Douglas, a creepy guy with an intense violent streak. Turns out Douglas is a necromancer who raises the dead for cash and sees potential in Sam. Then Sam discovers he’s a necromancer too, but with strangely latent powers. And his worst nightmare wants to join forces . . . or else.  With only a week to figure things out, Sam needs all the help he can get. Luckily he lives in Seattle, which has nearly as many paranormal types as it does coffee places. But even with newfound friends, will Sam be able to save his skin?

My Review: When I came across this book tour it was only out of curiosity that I signed up.  Necromancy?  Sweetness!  I adored Garth Nix’s Abhorsen books and my only knowledge of necromancers stemmed from them.  I always wanted to read more stories about necromancers (because frankly raising the dead is bad ass) and I’m thrilled to say that I found a fantastic new story that everyone will enjoy.  I freakin adored it; even going as far as waving it in my friends’ faces and squealing “It’s so EPIC!” at them.  It was utterly fantastic.  I’m having trouble expressing my love for it.

Sam is your typical guy; college dropout, working the fast food scene, and enjoys skateboarding.  His normal life comes crashing to a halt when Douglas shows up (because Sam failed at making a slap shot with a potatoe)  Suddenly Sam is thrown into a world of necromancers, witches, vampires, werewolves, faeries, furies, and even satyrs.  And his wake up call to the real world isn’t pleasant to say the least.  Douglas, in an attempt to “send Sam a message” delivers his friends decapitated resurrected head.  Hmm, talking head or candy-gram?  I honestly can’t say which one I would prefer.   Douglas is disturbed, scary, and just altogether evil.  He gives all necromancers a bad rap to be sure.  He gives Sam a week to decide whether he wants to join with Douglas, or die.  Not much of a choice there.  

 While Sam is just trying to figure out what the hell is going on, the werewolf heir to the throne, Brid, wakes up in a nasty warded cage in Douglas’s basement.  Worst. Morning.  Ever.  Talk about an FML moment.  Half werewolf, half fae-hound, Brid is a hybrid.  Too bad for her, Douglas likes unique specimens to experiment on.  Sam and Brid’s fates eventually intertwine and they must work together to escape Douglas’s clutches.  
   
Despite the dark and disturbing plot twists, this book made me laugh so much.  HYSTERICAL! Granted, I’m easily amused.  However, if a book can make me laugh every few pages I guarantee it’s worth your time.  It was funny in that awesome sarcastic way that only true comedic genius’s can accomplish.  The dialogue, the narration, even some of the situations were just brilliant.  I mean I wasn’t belting it out or anything, but I greatly appreciated the witty humor.  It totally brightened my day whenever I read it.  Oh and the chapter titles!  Pay attention when you are reading!  They are all song lyrics!  About the third chapter I discovered it and started laughing my head off!  I mean come on “Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting” and “Back and Black” and “Sweet Dreams Are Made of These”?  Just made my day, plus it’s fun trying to figure out what song they’re from.  ^.^ 
   
The supernatural sect was also very unique, and I’m thrilled to learn more about the supernatural world in this book.  (There BETTER be a sequel! )  Or I think I might cry out of sheer disappointment.  I think the author did a magnificent job of re-creating and putting her own unique spin on supernatural YA, which is horribly difficult to accomplish to say the least.  I found it refreshing, hilarious, enthralling, and altogether just amazing.  Definitely check it out! 

3 comments:

Fi-chan (Bookish-Escape) said...

sounds good! I especially love the chapter titles! Maybe I'll get this just for the lyrics chapter titles :D

angelatarantula said...

Great review! I'll be sure to check Hold Me Closer, Necromancer out now!
I'm a new follower. Have a great weekend!
Angela Z
http://thebookbuzzer.blogspot.com

angelatarantula said...

oh, actually, I'm an old follower! haha just thought I should let you know?