BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Review: The Eternal Ones

Synopsis: Haven Moore can’t control her visions of a past with a boy called Ethan, and a life in New York that ended in fiery tragedy. In our present, she designs beautiful dresses for her classmates with her best friend Beau. Dressmaking keeps her sane, since she lives with her widowed and heartbroken mother in her tyrannical grandmother’s house in Snope City, a tiny town in Tennessee. Then an impossible group of coincidences conspire to force her to flee to New York, to discover who she is, and who she was. In New York, Haven meets Iain Morrow and is swept into an epic love affair that feels both deeply fated and terribly dangerous. Iain is suspected of murdering a rock star and Haven wonders, could he have murdered her in a past life? She visits the Ouroboros Society and discovers a murky world of reincarnation that stretches across millennia. Haven must discover the secrets hidden in her past lives, and loves¸ before all is lost and the cycle begins again.

My Review: The concept of reincarnation has always fascinated me, so of course when I heard all the rave reviews of The Eternal Ones I was intrigued.  Granted reincarnation in YA novels isn’t exactly new, but The Eternal Ones was unique in the fact that it solely focused on it.  It wasn’t just a pit stop along the story line like Evermore and Fallen.  There were many aspects of this story I loved, and then just a few that made me want to punch a wall. 

I shall start with the wall punching first just to get it out of the way.  Haven grew up in a very secluded, very backwater, section of Tennessee; country, rural, Republican, and religious fanatics.  My worst nightmare.  O.O  Now, I have nothing against religion or religious people.  I just don’t subscribe to it.  However, strangely religious people who think that you are being possessed by demons of lust and then ultimately the devil?  Ya, not okay with.  Or that totally weird sect of Christianity that handles live poisonous snakes because they believe their faith in God will protect them?  Ya… just no.  Believe me I’m a pretty tolerant person, things like that just totally push me over the edge.  And boy was there a ton of it in at least the first half of the book.   I was ready to gouge my own eyes out to stop reading the nonsense!  I just wanted to take the whole entire town of Snope City and slap them in the face to give them a reality check! Granted, I think that was the point of it all, but it still drove me insane.  The whole entire town is what I like to call sheep.  Utter, complete sheep who cannot think for themselves and are spoon-fed ridiculous ideas that they don’t even question because it comes from a preacher.  *punches a wall*  Do you see why I was struggling not to throw this book across the room? Once again, I’m not here to offend anyone’s personal beliefs.  I am just expressing my personal opinion on the matter.  Okay, wall punching episode is over. 
Now onto the many things I liked about this novel, which is far more interesting than the wall punching.  I love, love, loved Haven.  I have a feeling that if she was a real person we’d be best buds.  She’s a very relatable MC and I only got annoyed with her a few times.  (Which is good because most of the time in these “true love” stories I want to punch the MC in the face)  She has passionate feelings for a man she’s only ever remembered in her dreams, and yet she is certain that she is meant to find him.  They are destined for one another, and yet she doesn’t fully trust her heart.  Rumors of her dad having an affair with another woman before he died made Haven cautious with her love.  When she eventually finds the man she is looking for she throws caution to the wind, yet there’s always a part of her that cannot fully let go and trust in him.  Though I believe that you can lose yourself in love and that you should trust those you love, I commended Haven for thinking through things and realizing that she may love him, but that doesn’t mean she can completely trust him.  Finally an MC with a brain!  In most of these “true love destined through time” plot lines the MC always doubts herself and thinks she’s not worthy and blah blah blah.  Haven had actual reasonable doubt to not love Iain.  She wasn’t doubting herself or whether or not Iain truly loved her, but it was Iain’s actions or rumored actions that had her concerned.  She realized that even though she loved him whole heartedly, that if he had in fact done what others had accused him of, she could not stay with him.  (I’m sounding real ominous aren’t I? )  Anywho, to find out what the hell I’m talking about you’ll just have to read.  XD
Someone else whom I adore?  Beau!!!  Could he just manifest into being real so I could hang with him?  He is the bestest friend eva!  I wish I had someone that close to me, kind of depressing that I don’t.  He’s loyal, no-nonsense, protective, hilarious, and well gay.  As much as I hate the token gay best friend role, Beau is still completely awesome.  I adored his character and only wish he was featured more in the thickest plot of the novel.  He kind of just got shoved off into the corner and was stuck in Tennessee.  : (   I also really liked Iain.  Okay so I kind of loved Iain.  Not for him necessarily but what he says and does.  One of my favorite lines of the whole books goes something like this, “ I’ve known you with dozens of faces and hairstyles.  They were all different, and as long as you were there underneath them, I liked them all.”   There’s another one that I loved, but after fifteen minutes of searching (glares at book) I still couldn’t find it.  It was something along the lines of “I love you even when you get jealous and angry” and so on and so forth.  It was just really sweet and usually when a guy says “I love you even though you have your faults” I tend to roll my eyes because of course the girl he says it to is a complete utter moron and doesn’t deserve that kind of devotion in the first place.  I felt that Haven deserved it and she loved Iain back for all the same reasons.   It’s just all very sweet and like the gushy romantic I am I loved it. 
If any of you follow my tweets (which is probably no one lol) one of them went something like this.  “O.O Okay Eternal Ones just won the prize for creepiest stalker character.  Talk about a ten on the creepometer.”  What was THAT about you may ask?  Well I won’t spoil it for you, but dear lord there is a character who is the creepiest guy EVER!  I went bug eyed and literally got a shiver I was so creeped out.  It was probably the most disturbing thing I’ve read in a long while.  You just have to read it to understand the depths of horrifying it truly is. 
Overall, I really enjoyed The Eternal Ones, wall punching included.  It was controversial in the religious aspect and will probably rub some people the wrong way, but I have to commend the author for being gutsy with it.  The plot was at times a bit predictable, I mean I guessed a major plot reveal way early in the book, but it was still good!  Oh and I gotta love the random shout out to Nebraska!  Though I discovered upon further research that the supposed town that a character was from is indeed actually in Iowa.  XP Believe me, I checked.  I’d never heard of it and I live in Nebraska.  Plus I trust Google maps.  Haha.  Though the last twenty pages of the book felt rather rushed, it was a good ending.  I just felt that the author was going “Omg I’m really close to my word limit!  Can’t go over!”  The Eternal Ones is a worthwhile read that will make all gushy romance lovers like myself happy.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Excellent review :)

I keep putting this book off, and I'm not sure why. Maybe I should give it a try after all!

Trillian said...

Great review! I'm glad you enjoyed this book. I totally agree about Beau. I've linked to your review from mine btw. :D

Lisa R/alterlisa said...

This is one that has fascinated me for awhile and yet there it lies in my staggering TBR pile. Thanks for reminding me why it is there to begin with and oh and by the way YOU have been "bitten by a book blogger zombie" and if they want to find a cure before turning into a zombie you should visit this link

http://vvb32reads.blogspot.com/2010/09/book-blogger-zombie-giveaway-2010.html
(\___/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com