BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Review: The Clockwork Angel

Synopsis: Magic is dangerous—but love is more dangerous still. When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos. Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own. Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by—and torn between—two best friends: Jem, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length...everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world...and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.

My Review: I’m gonna start off by saying that when it comes to this review I’m going to be a bit biased.  Well, not horribly just a tiny bit.  Any of ya’ll who know me well will already know of what I speak, so I won’t take the time to go into it.    All I’m going to say is that the only reason I continued to read the Mortal Instruments books was to find out what happened with Magnus and Alec.  I love the two dearly and think they are adorable.  And one of the major factors of me reading the prequel is that I knew Magnus would make some appearances.  Plus I adore steampunk.  The prequels sounded much more my style.  Thankfully I predicted correctly. 

The beginning kind of took me by surprise.  I was rather expecting a gradual introduction to the Shadowhunter world since it is indeed a prequel series.  Since they were meant to be able to stand alone I was just rather taken aback that it STARTED with Will and Jem.   I guess I was also expecting Tessa’s account to start in New York as well, not on the steamship.  Not exactly what I was expecting, but I just kind of rolled with it.  I really rather enjoyed Tessa’s POV.  I liked her much more than I ever liked Clary.  Okay, A LOT more.   She was practical, strong willed, and not horribly emotional.  I actually really connected with her.  I think our personalities are very similar and she was very rational about everything that happened to her.  I don’t know whether that’s a product of the time period or just her personally, but I liked it.  I felt that she accepted people for who and what they were on a more personal basis and not just face value.  There’s a part in the book where she tells off a complete stranger, and a Shadowhunter at that, who was all in Will’s face being an asshole.  It wasn’t because she was defending Will, God knows that he deserved it, but rather she hated to see anyone behave so rudely to anyone, not matter what the reason.  She wasn’t selfish and when it came down to it, everything she did and endured was for her brother’s sake.  I thought she was a very admirable character and I’m glad I didn’t end up hating her.  It would have been bad if I hated the main characters in both TMI and the prequels.  Lol. 
I adore Victorian London.  There is just something about that time period that is just epic in my mind.  Maybe it’s because I fell in love with Victorian London after reading The Sally Lockhart Trilogy by Phillip Pullman in middle school.  The dark gritty streets, mood lighting, the accents, it is just epic.  I have to say I was kind of disappointed.  Not the atmosphere per say, but I felt it was out of time period.  The dialogue drove me nuts.  It was like Clare dumped some Shadowhunters in London and dressed them up to look like they were from the late 1800’s.  It just didn’t seem real to me.  Granted I know that it’s difficult to write dialogue that fits the time period.  I’m not asking for verbatim here, but some effort into it would have been nice.  I mean grab a Jane Austen novel and study the dialogue a bit.  Not too much to ask for, right?  It felt rather half assed in my opinion.  Maybe I’m being harsh because I’m a huge fan of the Alexia Tarabotti novels and they just rock with the dialogue.  Maybe I shouldn’t be comparing the two, but I just can’t help it.  I know it’s possible, so it just really bugs me that it wasn’t up to my expectations.  I’m probably throwing a hissy fit over something stupid that no one else cares about, but whatever. 
Oh and here comes the fun part.  Would you believe it’s possible?  I actually found a male character I hate more than Jace Wayland.  Shocking no?  And who may you ask is this unfortunate soul?  Will Herondale!  Good God!  *bashes head through wall*  I wanted to strangle him so many times!  I LOATHE those stupid “misunderstood, bad-ass hotties, with a dark secret, who treat their supposed loved ones like shit, but who are really awesome guys” characters.   And the MC falls for them anyway!  *bashes head again*  I mean come on Clare!  That was a one shot with Jace!  Now it’s just like beating a dead horse.   Will could be Jace’s twin!  Except he’s worse.  I can’t believe I just said that.  Will is more of an asshole than Jace.  I think I might have to take back one or two of my comments about Jace being an insufferable douche bag.   And you just know that Tessa is gonna fall head over heels for Will, despite his a-hole personality.  I mean where have I seen this romantic plot before?  Hmmm…. Oh ya!  Duh!  The Mortal Instruments!!! *bashes head yet again*  I need to stop headdesking… I’m killing brain cells here. 
Moving on!  I think I’m done ranting now.  Hopefully. Pray that I am done, or I feel a lot of you TMI fans are going to come hunt me down and beat me to a bloody pulp.  Bring it!  Jk.  XP  Despite my ranting, I actually did enjoy Clockwork Angel.  It was really only Will that bugged the crap out of me.  The dialogue was irritating but not horribly so, so I can forgive it.  Will I just cannot forgive.  Thankfully my love of Tessa, Jem, Magnus, and other awesome secondary characters makes up for my hatred.  I still have no idea what the Infernal Devices are… or if they are in fact actual objects.  I have a feeling it’s just referring to those strange clockwork people.  *shrugs*  Guess I’ll have to wait to find out.   Oh and just in case you are wondering what team I’m on…TEAM MAGNUS FTW!  *giggles*

 

5 comments:

Amelia said...

Really?
I loath misunderstood badass hotties too!
We're two of a kind :P
Glad to know you liked this one. I've got it on my TBR, but I'm not racing to read it or anything.
Awesome review, Ky! Love your voice :P

Blueicegal ♥ said...

oh come on Will wasn't horrible he made me smirk countless times! i found him hilarious , jace was quite harsh with clary at times ill admit but i wouldnt say will was horrible to Tessa wachu saying fool!

Ky said...

Almas he might as well have called her a whore!!! Implying that he'd just use her for sex and that he was to good to be formerly engaged with a warlock like herself!!! The bastard!

Blueicegal ♥ said...

lmfao i have to say i love your enthusiasm dearie lol :D

Ky said...

I don't understand how you could like a guy who treats you like dirt. That just screams of an abusive relatuionship. I don't put up with that shit