BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Review: Manifest


Synopsis: When fifteen-year-old Krystal Bentley moves to Lincoln, Connecticut, her mom's hometown, she assumes her biggest drama will be adjusting to the burbs after living in New York City.

But Lincoln is nothing like Krystal imagined. The weirdness begins when Ricky Watson starts confiding in her. He's cute, funny, a good listener—and everything she'd ever want—except that he was killed nearly a year ago. Krystal's ghost-whispering talents soon lead other "freaks" to her door—Sasha, a rich girl who can literally disappear, and Jake, who moves objects with his mind. All three share a distinctive birthmark in the shape of an M and, fittingly, call themselves the Mystyx. They set out to learn what really happened to Ricky, only to realize that they aren't the only ones with mysterious powers. But if Krystal succeeds in finding out the truth about Ricky's death, will she lose him for good?When fifteen-year-old Krystal Bentley moves to Lincoln, Connecticut, her mom's hometown, she assumes her biggest drama will be adjusting to the burbs after living in New York City.

My Review: Going into Manifest I really didn't have that high of expectations.  And I was right to expect as much as it turns out.  Don't get me wrong, it wasn't horrible . It was just a bit lackluster.  There wasn't anything special to Manifest that made it stand out in my mind.  While there were some aspects that I really enjoyed, others just rather killed the high points for me.                    

I have to say that Krystal annoyed the hell out of me.  Talk about the epitome of whiny teenager who doesn't appreciate anything in her life.  So her parents got a divorce.  Whoop de freakin' doo.  My parents are getting a divorce.  Hey, it's no walk in the park, but the way she treated her mother and new step father was completely uncalled for and there was no reason other than her being a little brat.  The way she treated others when they were only trying to be her friend was also annoying.  Krystal is probably the most snooty bitch of an MC I've ever read.  Okay well... that's not entirely true.  She's the most snooty bitch for the most stupid reason I've ever read.  There, that's a bit more accurate.  She just really annoyed the crap out of me, if you couldn't already tell.  While I, probably more than most people, can understand what she was going through, the reason does not justify her actions.  I would never act the way she did on many occasions.  Ne-ver.  I think my dislike of Krystal majorally inhibited me from enjoying this book.  Well... one of the major reasons at least.  However, she did get better towards the end.  I ended up not completely hating her.  Just for the first half of the novel at least. 

Since I'm being rather negative, here's some positives I liked about this book.  I love, love, loved the tie in to Greek mythology.  Mystyx?  My Styx?  The Styx River between the Underworld and the earth?  Coolio!!!!  I had a slight geek out  moment.  I completely loved that.  I'm a history nut, what can I say?  While their powers are not explained (yet) I still found it intriguing.  The "storms" that supposedly were going on at the time of each of the groups conception was also kind of a cool twist.  How do weird storms at the time of their birth correlate to their magical abilities?  I haven't a clue.  It will be interesting to see how that ties in.  I also really enjoyed the other characters.  Okay... well maybe just one that I liked a lot.  Jake was awesome.  Quiet, caring, and just an all around great guy.  Slightly baggy clothing, hoodies, long shaggy hair.  He's so my type.  Such a shame he's fictional.  Lol.  Sasha was so bipolar most of the time I can't really say I like her all that much.  However, I suspect there is much more to her character than I initially thought.  In the synopsis it's implied that Krystal falls for the ghost.  All I'm going to say on the matter is thank goodness for her rational.  I may not like the way Krystal acts in most circumstances, but I tend to agree with her logic most of the time.  Notice I say most of the time.  Lol. 

While I enjoyed the unusual story, it wasn't really all that well written.  Not that the writing was horrible, it wasn't.  It was simply that the plot could have been more... more....just well better.  I can't really explain it.  The most "terrifying" and "mysterious" part of the novel wasn't all that terrifying or mysterious.  It was like it was trying so hard to be scary and inspire fear and it just failed horribly.  Some parts of the story simply just weren't believable.  I just felt that it was trying so hard to be edgy and unique and it just didn't live up to it.  Perhaps further books will be necessary for me to like the story.  It's so incomplete now that I have a hard time trying to convince myself to give it a chance.  We will see how Mystify plays out.  The cover of which is below.  Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but I will say that I shall still give these books a chance.  I will see how Mystify goes, and then maybe I'll have a better idea as to whether or not I like the story. 




 

6 comments:

Leilani @Leilani Loves Books said...

Loved this book!

It was great!

Cant wait for the next one!

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

Great, honest review! I didn't really like this one that much, either. I hadn't seen the cover for the sequel yet.

Autumn said...

I didn't like Krystal either! She was such a brat!

Ky said...

Haha glad I'm not alone in my dislike of Krystal lolz

Darlyn said...

I'm looking forward to read this one but I have to say, the sequel book cover dont seem to retain the 1st book cover. hmm..

Faye said...

yep! Krystal was alot to handle. But the premise was really good :D