BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, August 20, 2010

Review: Low Red Moon


Synopsis: Avery Hood is reeling from the loss of her parents--and the fact that she can't remember what happened to them even though she was there. She's struggling to adjust to life without them, and to living with her grandmother, when she meets Ben, who isn't like any guy she's ever met before. It turns out there's a reason why, and Ben's secret may hold the key to Avery finding out what happened to her parents... But what if that secret changes everything she knows about--and feels for--Ben?

Here come all the reviews that I promised!  Getting five books from tours in less than two weeks is not fun.  However, I discovered just how fast I can read when I need to!  XD

My Review:  If you hadn't guessed by the cover this is clearly a paranormal YA book.  More specifically a werewolf inspired one.  With all the werewolf/vampire/fallen angel/demon hunter books out there, what makes this one so special?  It's different, that's what.  Avery Hood is found clutching the butchered remains of her parents, covered head to toe in blood, and cannot remember a thing. My eyes literally bugged out while reading the beginning of this novel.  There might have been a few profanities as well . Low Red Moon  dares to take YA paranormal and blast readers with something dark, edgy, and terrifying to behold.  I won't deny that it contains the general cookie cutter paranormal YA plotline of late, but that's okay.  Why?  Because unlike a lot of generic novels being fed to the masses, Low Red Moon truly offers something different.  What I loved most about this book was that I got my romance, I got the paranormal aspect, and in the end got an ending I did NOT see coming.  What I wasn't expecting to get out of this read was to feel shocked, horrified, and as if someone had stabbed me in the gut.  

 Avery is a very relatable MC.  Struggling to remember what happened the night her parents were murdered, dealing with living in a house and with a grandmother she barely knows, and much less school?  You have to admire her strong sense of determination.  She thinks for herself and is firm in her beliefs.  She's rather timid to be sure, but her lack of a social life really isn't due to shyness.  Even when her fellow classmates start wicked rumors of her being cursed, she doesn't hold it against them.  She could truly care less what they think and I admire her for being able to ignore them without any bitterness.  


Low Red Moon also introduces a topic that I feel needs to be brought further into the light for today's youth.  I would call myself an out-doorsy girl.  I love camping.  And no, RV's and campers do NOT qualify as camping.  It's a tent or nothing!  I have a great appreciation of nature and people littering, cutting down the rainforest, and certain oil companies not having proper emergency shut downs on certain oil wells pisses me off to no end.  It's a miracle the human race is even here to begin with.  How can we possible destroy our own habitat?  The very planet that gave us our shot at life?  I may not be religious, but if anything I respect nature.  This theme isn't heavy throughout the novel, but it plays an important part.  Destroying a forest for the sake of land development?  Not cool.  Ivy introduces this theme subtly and has an excellent hand for it. I loved how she also brought in the idea of there being places on this earth that mankind will never truly understand.  Places so deep in the jungle, the ocean, the mountains, the forrest, where humans are not welcome.  There is so much mystery in this world and Ivy encorporates the idea of the unknown expertly in Low Red Moon. 


This is definitely worth your time!  It's short, gripping, terrifying, and leaves you wanting more.  I read it in a few hours, I just could not put it down.  Be on the lookout for it, because you will not wnat to miss it!

3 comments:

Malbebe said...

Theres been so many mixed reviews for this book. I'm gonna say that I'm sticking to your review and I'm going to go buy the book when it comes out. Great, detailed review. :)

Blueicegal ♥ said...

oh no i saw this in the libary some weeks ago but didn't pick it up and now i can't find it! sounds like a great read, fab review as always :)

brandileigh2003 said...

Great review!