BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Review: Firelight

Synopsis: A hidden truth. Mortal enemies. Doomed love.Marked as special at an early age, Jacinda knows her every move is watched. But she longs for freedom to make her own choices. When she breaks the most sacred tenet among her kind, she nearly pays with her life. Until a beautiful stranger saves her. A stranger who was sent to hunt those like her. For Jacinda is a draki—a descendant of dragons whose greatest defense is her secret ability to shift into human form. Forced to flee into the mortal world with her family, Jacinda struggles to adapt to her new surroundings. The only bright light is Will. Gorgeous, elusive Will who stirs her inner draki to life. Although she is irresistibly drawn to him, Jacinda knows Will's dark secret: He and his family are hunters. She should avoid him at all costs. But her inner draki is slowly slipping away—if it dies she will be left as a human forever. She'll do anything to prevent that. Even if it means getting closer to her most dangerous enemy.Mythical powers and breathtaking romance ignite in this story of a girl who defies all expectations and whose love crosses an ancient divide.

My Review:  I've been anticipating Firelight  for what seems like forever.  I was overjoyed when I got the chance to read it!  A huge thank you to We Love YA! Tours.  I devoured it in record time for having been in school at the time.  XD 

Besides the gorgeous cover art, I adored Firelight for many reasons.  I have gotten so sick and tired of the traditional new boy at school/hottie/supernatural that I was overjoyed to have the tables turned for once.  Jacinda truly flips the tables on the usual plot.  Jacinda is a strong female MC that is truly admirable.  Forced to flee her childhood home with her mother and twin sister, Jacinda is forced into the human world.  When her mother moves them to the desert, Jacinda's draki formed is deprived of the energy it needs to thrive.  As she struggles against loosing her draki self forever, she is driven closer and closer to the very Hunter that spared her life.  


Firelight is truly a highly unique and original story.  And if you know me even slightly, then you know I value originality above anything else.  In traditional lore dragons are mythical beast; intelligent, vicious, and hoarders of great treasures.  I adored the fact that Jacinda and her family were "descended" from dragons.  Not quite full dragons themselves, but more of a hybrid.  And counter to traditional dragon stories, not all dragons can breath fire.  In fact, Jacinda is the first fire-breather in almost four hundred years.  The ability was thought to be long extinct, and it puts Jacinda in unwanted spotlight.  Her pride wants to control every aspect of her life, even forcing her to mate at the young age of sixteen.  Pride politics and protocol were truly fascinating. The different types of dragons and abilities had me geeking out.  I loved it!  I wish I got to read more about them before Jacinda and her family fled.  


While Jacinda was strong and tough, she didn't crave attention.  She kind of stayed to herself and wasn't overly outgoing.  Some of this was clearly due to her unhappiness of being forced to loose her draki self.  However, Jacinda as a person just wasn't that way.  She was very easy to relate to and very likeable.  She's far from perfect and has her faults like anyone, but she didn't do anything that I could have strangled her for.  Will was equaly likeable.  Of course he's the gorgeous hottie that every girl in school has the hots for.   *insert eye roll*  For once, just once, I would like the romantic interest to just be normal good looking, not drop dead gorgeous.  Will my wish ever be granted?  Probably not... but moving on.  I kind of tend to trend to slow relationships romantically.  That sooooo didn't happen in Firelight.  There was great tension and mutual attraction.  While I found their attraction to one another a bit unfounded, I suspect it's more like an "imprinting" kind of deal.  (It truly kills me to make a Twilight  reference here)  Both characters admit to an unnatural attraction and sense of each other, so I truly do think that's why they were so drawn to each other.  Though their relationship started out rather quickly, they did have a lot of things in common and I truly do think they are compatable with one another.  


I tend to think of dragons as fierce beasts that are great predators.  It was interesting to read a story where the predators are the prey.  While it was an interesting twist, I found that I didn't quite find it believeable.  The "Ekros," those whom hire the Hunters to track and kill the Draki, I found very underwritten.  There was almost no explanation for them, who they were, their motivation, anything at all.  It's guaranteed that we will find out more about them in later books, but it still kind of bothered me.  The lack of explanation made them seem like some vague distant threat to the reader, yet they were feared like the plague by the characters.  


And of course with any trilogy (at least I'm hoping it's at LEAST a trilogy) it ended with a huge ass cliff-hanger.  Total sad face, but hey, what can ya do?  Lol.  I was expecting a huge cliff-hanger so I wasn't all that depressed with the ending.  I'm still craving more though!  It was a wonderful and original read.  If you're looking for something new and thrilling then Firelight should definitely reach it's way to your dirty little hands. 

 

2 comments:

AlexOngNYC said...

Hrrm, seems an interesting enough story. I'm toying with a story idea about a creature that takes human form but can't escape the "stigma" of the creature side of himself. Non-Twilighty though, and people will be normal looking.

Faye said...

so glad u liked this one! i can't wait 2 start it.